The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

New to Omni - Multiple people question Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm considering purchasing Omni products (Focus and/or Plan)... How do these products work with multiple team members? Can one database be shared? Can a supervisor create an action for someone else? Any guidance would be appreciated.

Neither OmniFocus nor OmniPlan is currently a multi-user app.

OmniFocus is a personal task management application. Sharing a database among multiple users is not advised, as data loss could result from two people editing the same action at once.

OmniPlan is a project management application, for scheduling tasks for teams. However, it's currently best for one user to make the schedule and publish it, rather than multiple users making changes all at once. You can export an OmniPlan schedule to HTML so that team members can view the schedule and download an iCal calendar of their tasks.

We are looking at integrating OmniPlan and OmniFocus to allow for a delegation model. This would probably not be until version 2.0 of both products.

You are welcome to download either or both applications and try them for yourself before purchasing. (OmniFocus has a 14-day unlimited demo period, and OmniPlan has a 20 task limit.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard View Post

We are looking at integrating OmniPlan and OmniFocus to allow for a delegation model. This would probably not be until version 2.0 of both products.

But why do you have to postpone that feature to such a distant future like version 2.0 with revision jumps to 1.2, 1.3 and 1.5 and even further steps till then it wont show up in years :((

Maybe 2.0 comes out after 1.1. Maybe 1.8 comes in 6 months. Nothing is set in stone. Look at RapidWeaver, those guys skip point update numbers like you wouldn't believe. :)

I would also factor in that consumers don't need OP and OF getting out of whack if they make the move so they take their time to ensure no data loss.

Darn - that was what I was expecting to hear and had hoped I was wrong.
None the less, it looks like a terrific program - so I think I will try it out as suggested - and see if I can get it working on my iPod Touch before leaping into the iPhone. (I was one of the 1st to get an iPhone in Panama City and I was THE FIRST to return it since I HAD to have a good To Do program).

OF looks good.
Thanks for the quick response - you are one of the best moderators I have read - tough job - keep up the good work.

BTW is there a package deal for Mac and iPhone/iPod - or a trial period for the iPhone?

No package deal for both apps, sorry. Also no trial period for the iPhone app. Both are constrained by Apple's App Store.

Couldn't you offer a discounted price on Omni Focus for Mac to all Omni Focus Iphone users? I'm not sure if you Apple gives you information regarding the purchasers of your apps in the App Store. There must be someway for us iPhone users to prove we purchased the app.

Last edited by mgetzski; 2008-08-08 at 06:14 AM.. Reason: typo

There has already been lengthy discussion along these lines here: http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=7110

How about the possibility of simply adding the name of the person to whom a task has been assigned. I don't need full blown project management, but as a team leader, it would be nice to create either tags (things) or a list of team members (almost like another dimension - similar to a context like capability) so I can track all the tasks I have asked a specific team member to complete. That way, when I talk with them, I have access to the list. Maybe even just an extension of context, only with phone numbers, email, etc.

We plan to add custom data columns in a future version, which would allow you to create a "Assigned To" column and track things that way.

Meanwhile, I recommend creating a context for each person to whom you assign tasks and putting their tasks in those contexts. I think we could add custom columns to contexts as well as projects and actions. Meanwhile a hack for having the contact information in each context would be to create a Contacts single-action group and create an action in it for each person, with the notes containing all their contact info. Then assign each contact "action" to its related context and when you look at Joe's context, you'll have info on how to contact him right with all the things you need to talk to him about.* Email addresses and phone numbers in notes even become clickable links in OmniFocus for iPhone.

*I just thought of this. It may only sound good in theory and not work well in practice.