The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

STILL getting the 502 errors with bingodisk Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm using the latest sneakypeek and 1.0.2 on the iTouch.

Both :mad: are getting a 502 error from bingodisk. The desktop client is intermittent, the iTouch gets an error every single time:

The xxx.bingodisk.com server returned "bad gateway" (502) in response to

and that's all I can get before the app crashes! I can't send a crash report because mail on the iTouch doesn't support SSL with variant certificates.

I've owned OmniFocus for the iTouch since launch and have not been able to use it one single day. Talk about a TOTAL waste of money.

I'm not sure why bingodisk isn't working for you. I've honestly lost track of which WebDAV services do and don't work with OmniFocus at the moment. (If someone wants to chime in on that, feel free.)
Here's what I'd recommend:
1) Sign up for a 60 day free trial of MobileMe
2) Create an OmniFocus action to cancel MobileMe before the free trial expires.
3) Get syncing with MobileMe
(For more on this, see http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=8525)
Now that you've taken care of the immediate problem, you can more carefully research what's going wrong with BingoDisk and what other WebDAV services you might be able to use (including setting one up on your own computer).

Meanwhile, we're working on allowing OmniFocus to sync directly over WiFi without any WebDAV servers involved. I can't promise it will be ready before your MobileMe trial expires, so I still recommend researching the WebDAV problem while you wait.

MobileMe is an overpriced, useless service to me, so it's not an option even as a trial.

Setting up a WebDAV server on my own computer would be great, and I had that working via HTTP, which is fine on my home office network. However, since it doesn't support HTTPS, it's also useless to me, since I'm on public networks a good portion of the time.

The only reason I purchased a BingoDisk account was to support syncing, as recommended here in the forums. So between that and the OF on the iTouch that I'm totally unable to use, I'm out $40 so far.

I'd be happy just syncing tethered via the sync cable - doesn't need to be wifi.

Syncing via the cable is not an option. Apple only allows iTunes to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhotka View Post
MobileMe is an overpriced, useless service to me, so it's not an option even as a trial.
It's free for 60 days, with no obligation beyond that point. How is that overpriced? It works much better than what you've got now. Sign up for the trial already and get syncing. Get some work done while Omni stamps out the rest of the bugs.
Quote:
Setting up a WebDAV server on my own computer would be great, and I had that working via HTTP, which is fine on my home office network. However, since it doesn't support HTTPS, it's also useless to me, since I'm on public networks a good portion of the time.
Why do you say it doesn't support HTTPS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
It's free for 60 days, with no obligation beyond that point. How is that overpriced? It works much better than what you've got now. Sign up for the trial already and get syncing. Get some work done while Omni stamps out the rest of the bugs.

Why do you say it doesn't support HTTPS?
My original thought on MobileMe, was that I wouldn't use it because after 60 days I wouldn't keep the service, as I'd never use it for anything but syncing - everything else is useless fluff since I host my own domain/site (which doesn't support WebDAV for security reasons). So I'm wouldn't to change my workflow for a temporary solution.

As I asked for ideas around the office though, someone reminded me that I'm not going to be able to use a third-party WebDAV server of any kind - we're not allowed to store confidential information on non-company servers, so both BingoDisk and MobileMe are a moot point (that $20 is lost to my eagerness to get it working).

Omni: I suspect that every corporate user will be facing the exact same issue. We'll need either local hosting or wireless sync in order to comply with corporate policy, and either/both must support HTTPS and strong password authentication/protection.

Now regarding the local hosting and HTTPS, if you have it working, I'd welcome instructions - every attempt has failed due to certificate issues. I can put up with having to modify the firewall settings every time I change networks as long as the transmission is secure. (Assuming I can find where the IP address is available for display on the iTouch that is). I can use a robust password, so that's not the issue - it's secure transport. Ideas are welcome!