The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tab Drawer behaviour Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Is there any way to stop the tab drawer opening every time I open a page in a new tab?

Sorry if it is obvious and I have missed it.

Cheers

Euan

Last edited by euan.semple; 2007-04-26 at 12:00 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by euan.semple
Is there any way to stop the tab drawer opening every time I open a page in a new tab?

Sorry if it is obvious and I have missed it.

Cheers

Euan
Is there a particular reason you don't want it to open? It seems to defeat the purpose of tabs, unless I'm missing something here. Sorry, I don't want to sound arrogant or sarcastic.

I use a 12" iBook and am used to the browser window filling the screen. When a new tab is opened the window is forced to narrow due to the tab drawer. I usually run the browser with four tabs open and usually the same ones so I am quite happy to navigate using command up or down arrow and don't need the drawer very often so when it opens when I don't need it to it is a hassle to close it.

Unfortunately, this falls in to (what is now like beating a dead horse) of Tab Drawer vs. Tab Bar.

Except a tab bar doesn't take up half my bloody screen! I've gone back to Camino ....

It's one of the design decision that OmniGroup has expressed where they stand and it seems to be love it or hate it. I'm curious if it will change in OS X 10.4.5 because from what I've heard, drawers aren't going to be supported or something, so a change may have to happen.

My only issue is that the tabs require the user to expand the amount of real estate the browser window takes up. I would love to see an integrated sidebar -inside- the window that lets you look at your bookmarks, history, downloads, and tabs, somewhat like Shiira does. At the very least, I think integrating the tab display into the window such that you don't need to resize your window every time you want to see your tabs would solve a lot of the problems.

Anywho, yeah, this subject has been discussed ad nauseam, and it's one of those things that if it's a deal breaker to you, it's not worth purchasing the software.

I will admit though, as much as I like graphical tabs, there are times when I -really- miss having a tab bar, and I would love to have the option of either or.