The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Bug Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Comments on 5.7 Beta 2 Update Process Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Greetings.

I'm posting this in the "Bugs" forum as I see them as usability bugs with the "automatic" update process.

When I returned to my Mac this morning, I was greeted with a window indicating that OW 5.7 Beta 2 was available. In that window I selected the options for what I'm terming "automatic" update, i.e. have it install the update, quit, and relaunch. I also selected the option that I interpreted to mean that it would save the download of the update after the update was finished.

Based on the experience, I'd like to submit the following comments for consideration as potential "usability" bugs:

1. The Beta 2 download was saved in my ~/Downloads folder. I would have expected it to be saved in the downloads folder I specified in OmniWeb's preferences.

2. It looks like it downloaded and installed the "International" version of 5.7 Beta 2 (around 47 MB) vs. the English-only version I normally run, which is 10 MB less. I would have expected it to install the update for the same version (English only) that I was currently using.

3. While it all worked flawlessly, there was a bit of a pause during the process between when it quit the running copy of OW and when it prompted me for my Admin password. I would have expected some kind of progress indicator as for a few moments (granted, it was brief) I wasn't sure the process was actually working.

4. When the browser relaunched, it opened the windows (web pages) in my default Workspace. I would have expected that it would relaunch showing the pages I had open at the time I initiated the "automatic" update. If there was some warning about this, I missed this. Granted, I didn't lose any work and could go back through History to pull up the pages I was viewing at the time (unless OW's preferences were set to purge History when quitting OW), but I expected it would relaunch with the same pages displayed as when the update was initiated.

Thanks in advance for considering this feedback.

These are all updates to our software update framework we hope to make in the future. Thanks!