The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Newbie: An action requiring a follow-up Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by yennta View Post
Just discovered Clippings in OF. That does pretty much all I need. I can add a "waiting" context to each clip I send over to OF from mail. No rules required.
The Clippings feature is great. It's a shame we can't get the script to work for you, though. It nicely automates the whole process after you hit send.

It's not onerous, however, to do this manually. As you've discovered, just switch to Sent Mail folder in Mail, select your sent message, clip it to OF, and later adjust the task title and context as desired in OF. If you configure Clippings to open QuickEntry, rather than send directly to the OF Inbox, you can streamline some of those steps.

If you come across a solution for the script, please return and share it!

The context that you have in your script and the keyword you have in MailTags is named '@Waiting', while the context you have in OmniFocus is named 'Waiting'. These names must match exactly, so you'll need to remove the '@' from the script and the MailTags keyword, or add the '@' to the name of your OmniFocus context.

Great catch Greg Jones! If yennta changes the context in Omnifocus from@Waiting to Waiting, it should work.

I believe the MailTags keyword can be @Waiting, as long as that is the MT keyword assigned in the Outbox Rule. The MT keyword doesn't have a reference in the script—it only serves as a trigger to run the script. In other words:
  • The OF context name must match the context name entered in the script
And
  • The keyword entered in the MT panel of the outgoing email must match the MT keyword assigned in the Outbox Rule.
But
  • All four don't need to match. (It may be less confusing, though, to simply configure all four entries as the same name).

I believe all 4 will need to match. The MailTags keyword is not referenced in the script, but OmniFocus does evaluate imported emails and will assign a task a context based on an exact match with a MailTags keyword. I just tried adding a '@waiting' tagged email using the script and it does not import to OmniFocus. I changed the keyword to 'waiting' and ran the script again and it works.

Greg, this is interesting—I observe different results. My OF context is named 'Waiting' and that is what I designate in the script. I assign '@waiting' as the MT keyword in the Outbox Rule, which is what I use to tag an outgoing email. The script functions fine for me.

The script and rule also run properly when I assign the word 'saxophone' in the Outbox Rule and tag the outgoing email with the same, but have my context named Waiting in OF and the script.

It's my understanding that OF is currently unable to import a MT keyword as a context. (OF can import a MT project, but this script doesn't grab that data). Going from Mail to OF, the context is assigned via the script, not because OF can scan the keyword and match a context. If, for example, I set the MT keyword of an outgoing or received message to 'Errands'—which matches a top-level context in OF—and clip it to the OF Inbox or QE, the task is added, but no context is imported.

Are you observing different behavior?

Mac OS X 10.5.8
OF 1.7.3

Last edited by kaijin; 2009-09-14 at 09:42 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Jones View Post
I just tried adding a '@waiting' tagged email using the script and it does not import to OmniFocus. I changed the keyword to 'waiting' and ran the script again and it works.
In your test, did you also change the MT keyword in the Outbox Mail rule to '@waiting'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaijin View Post
It's my understanding that OF is currently unable to import a MT keyword as a context.
You are absolutely correct-my mistake. It is keywords that are not mapped to contexts, and I'm always forgetting and getting it wrong. Perhaps because I really want MT keywords mapped to a context! It is curious why the script breaks for me if the MT keyword does not match the context in OF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaijin View Post
In your test, did you also change the MT keyword in the Outbox Mail rule to '@waiting'?
Nope, that was what caused it to fail.