The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Parent/child question Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Looking at action with child, am I right in saying that the parent can't have a context?

If so, what is the logic for that?

peter

it's been the subject of many discussions , the parent actually passes on it's context to the child action. A parent with a child is usually signifying that the parent won't be complete until the child task is completed .
When the child task is completed , unless there's another step , the parent is done .

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemer View Post
Looking at action with child, am I right in saying that the parent can't have a context?

If so, what is the logic for that?
First, in OmniFocus's terminology, an action cannot have a child. Once you assign a child to an action, the action ceases to be an action and becomes an action group. Like folders and projects, an action group will never appear in the context list. Some people think this is not the way action groups should work, but I'm just explaining the way they do work now. The basic principle is that anything with a child will not show up in context view.

Second, you can assign a default context to an action group, just as you can to a project; if you do so, all new actions created within the action group will have that context. If you turn an action with a context into an action group by adding a child, the action group should have its context set as the default.

Heh, I started a post to say much the same thing last night, then realized that the outlining commands speak of children and aunts, and decided I'd let someone else try, while I slept :-)