The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

one-size-fits all alarms not useful to me Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
My one foray into trying notifications for OF on my iPod Touch was a disaster. I definitely don't want a notification for EVERY single thing, and right now they're an all-or-nothing proposition.

But I would like notifications for SOME things. As it is I find myself awkwardly shuffling events over to Calendar (or Pocket Informant) to get a notification for it.

Every garden-variety iPhone calendar app offers notifications for specific events. Why can't OF offer custom notifications on a per-task basis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by avandelay View Post
Why can't OF offer custom notifications on a per-task basis?
Because the code and interface required to add a "do X for all items that have a due date when this application preference is turned on" feature is easier to write, test, and localize. :-)

Item-by-item alerts are more complex, but we do have a feature request open for them; email the support ninjas and they can add you to the list of folks that would like to see it added. Thanks!

I just wish the existing alerts had an option that would allow you to include the project name along with the task name. This is something I've been asking for for a long time. Am I the only person who has multiple projected for different people than involve many of the same action items? Without the project name it can be hard to determine what an item like "Send invoice" refers to.

But if the notification also included XYZ Co Agreement, all would be good.

I'm pretty sure we have a feature request open on that - so email the support ninjas if you haven't already - but in the meantime, the workaround would be to try and choose action names that are individually identifiable...

I'm also frustrated with the notification feature on my iPhone, having looked forward to it coming for so long.. As it only has the option to sound off at the very time the task becomes "over due". Ideally, I guess I would like to be able to set individual warnings at differing intervals before that point... I.e. an hour's warning before a task reaches it's due point.

And I agree.. I sure don't need or want a series of alarms going off all day..it would be great to be able to choose which tasks require alarms..and at what point before the task becomes overdue that they would sound... Exactly like iCal I guess..

Last edited by Fiona; 2010-11-29 at 01:58 PM..

I keep going back and forth between OmniFocus and ToDoMatrix on my iPhone. Can't decide which one to stay with but weighing in here regarding alerts. If OF will mimic what ToDoMatrix does with alerts (which is perfect) OF will be my choice moving forward. As it is, OF is just about halfway useful for me without a sufficient alert system. On the other hand... ToDoMatrix only has a web-based option (no desktop application) and it's slow when using iPhone tethering. This week I'm back with OF because I'm doing a lot of work from the office and I like using the desktop app on my MacBook Pro.