The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

SOLVED: Mysteriously growing OmniFocus.ofocus file Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
The "Lizard Tweak" cut my file size by about 20% and SIGNIFICANTLY cut the number of files in the package (by maybe 75%). I had two mysterious devices lurking in there. One seemed to correspond to when I first synced the phone and had it stop mid-way through (the device file name had "in-progress" in the title) and had to pair it again, and the other corresponded to a db reset on the iPhone a couple of days later. Users that have experienced similar issues may want to check this out.

Oh man, thanks for this thread. My .ofocus file was up to 3.3MB and it was making it completely unusable. I reset everything, and now it's just 12kb!

YES! I too was having this growing database problem on my phone and on my wife's phone. My database was almost 8MB! Hers was around 6MB.

After applying this fix, my database is 54K! Hers is 28K!

I was getting very frustrated about how long it was taking to sync my iPhone and was starting to think that there was no way I could use OmniFocus for the iPhone. Now a sync on the iPhone takes seconds instead of minutes.

Lizard, you are awesome!

I concur: although my database only went from 330 kb to 55 kb, I noticed dramatic improvements in sync performance. What causes all of this extra bloat to accumulate in the first place? I'd like to avoid it if possible, but I'd be willing to automate this process if need be.

Got my dbase from 4.1 down to 13k but not overly sure how i did it, but started with lizards tips and then rebuilding and deleting a frew times, also it seems to be more functional now since I have switched off idisk syncing, mybe that added an extar level of confusion to the mix....cheers guys, i am now totally dependant on ofocus

I'm guessing if you don't see a .client file, and your file size is still below 1MB things are hunky dory?

A couple of questions. Does it seem like since the switch to mobileme, that the idisk seems to take FOREVER to respond to things like right click and show package contents? It took five minute for the right click show package contents to respond.

Also deleting the files never responded. I had to go in and delete via the mobileme idisk web interface.

Last edited by gcrump; 2008-07-18 at 01:31 PM..

This changes everything and makes using OmniFocus much more usuable. My file had swollen up too... Perhaps Omni needs to build some sort of tool into the apps to do a clean up of the clients since there's several of us having this problem.

Grump: It definitely feels really slow on my end too. I've seen my OmniFocus become fairly unresponsive while synching in a crucial situation on a day when iDisk was particularly bad. If it happens again, I'm moving to another WebDAV server I have access to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmmuk View Post
I'm guessing if you don't see a .client file, and your file size is still below 1MB things are hunky dory?
If you don't see ANY .client files, then you're looking in the wrong place. This fix/hack needs to be applied to the OmniFocus file on your central sync location (iDisk or other WebDAV), not the OmniFocus file in your Library.

And yes, we are working on a user interface for managing this. But it'll take a little bit of time, and thought this hack might help you wait patiently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMethod View Post
I concur: although my database only went from 330 kb to 55 kb, I noticed dramatic improvements in sync performance. What causes all of this extra bloat to accumulate in the first place? I'd like to avoid it if possible, but I'd be willing to automate this process if need be.
The extra .client files are generally going to happen when you change your sync settings. For example, you switch from MobileMe to some other WebDAV and back again. So once you've got a stable solution syncing happily, this shouldn't happen. (If you do see it happening even when you're not messing with your sync settings, please send an email to omnifocus@omnigroup.com, so we can figure out what's gone awry.)