The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Anybody done a 3G S speed test Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello folks

After spending time in line today to get a 3G S only to have the Rogers sales rep (in Canada) say "the Internet and phones are down come back tomorrow" even though I had the 3G S in my hands, I came home with my old phone and found this speed test:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gruber/3641524865

Anybody out there want to try the same thing with OmniFocus?

Not that I want to be jealous, but I do think it would be a good test as opening OF is my one biggest frustration, it is just so slow on my phone.

-- Morgan

Not a perfect comparison, as I don't have an iPhone, and I don't have PCalc, but PCalc Lite launches slightly faster on my iPod touch 2G than PCalc does in the video. Does PCalc Lite launch faster than PCalc? I have no idea, and no interest in buying it.

I've got a fairly hefty DB on my iPod in OmniFocus (currently 444 projects, 3793 actions, 23 zip files), and timing it just now, startup time to seeing the Due Soon screen contents is about 6 seconds. It can be substantially longer than that if it decides to compact the database. Presumably the iPhone 3G S is at least in the same ballpark as far as performance, so speaking as an Apple stockholder, I think you have the right plan for addressing your complaint about OF opening slowly, and hope you can buy one soon :)

I have the 3GS, and it is worlds different. The 3GS is exceptionally fast when using OmniFocus. In fact, I found the 3.0 os update on my 3g to make it work slower, making me very frustrated. I'm sure the OS will be updated, but still...

But one thing I didn't expect was that SYNCING is worlds of different faster. Why that would be I don't know, but it is, in my experience using MobileMe, roughly 3-5 times faster - no lie, no exaggeration. I guess the phone just processes the changes faster.

I don't know, and I don't care. Omni is insanely fast now, and that was my biggest gripe...

That and the default Map view for Nearby; god, that's just KILLING me!

Exciting news..!:D

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriswitt View Post
That and the default Map view for Nearby; god, that's just KILLING me!
So that is different now... I was wondering. I have only had the iPhone app for a few days, and I remembered getting to a list of stuff nearby when I went to the target at the bottom. I thought maybe I had just forgotten how I got there, but it sounds like maybe the update changed it.

I'm with you, the list is a lot more useful. Dropping into the map every time was throwing me off since there really isn't much you can do with it at that point.

I get that locations really only make sense when mapped to contexts, but there is one exception: Errands. It would be great if you could set a location on an action item if it is something you need to buy at a certain store. I guess the workaround is to make a subcontext for each location and set them there.

No 3GS here yet, but I'm encouraged if it really makes Omnifocus run at a reasonable speed.

Thanks everyone for the info. I'm now really looking forward to the upgrade :)

-- Morgan

Glad to hear I'm not the only one!

I am hereby publicly asking - no, begging - everyone to email omnifocus and ask for them to add an option letting us choose which list to see as the default, List or Map.

I'm in no position to ask for things because I get more out of these forums than I am able to contribute, but this Map thing is driving me bananas, and I get hit with it twice every time I use omnifocus on the iphone:

1. Tap omnifocus icon, and omnifocus loads in less than 5 seconds, every time.
2. I tap Location, then tap List.
3. Suddenly, it switches back to Map, because my auto-sync finishes, resetting my view.
4. Tap List again and curse. ;-)

Because the sync is sped up so much, for me, there's just no reason not to have auto-sync enabled.

Anyway, to anyone who would request this feature, I am eternally grateful!

Have a good weekend,

-Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vramin View Post
I'm with you, the list is a lot more useful. Dropping into the map every time was throwing me off since there really isn't much you can do with it at that point.
Tap on a red pin for a location, you get a popup showing the name of the context associated with the pin and the number of available actions there. Tap the button on the left end and you get a map showing you the route to get there (like clicking the distance button in the list view). Tap the button on the right end and you get the list view of the actions available in that context.

Quote:
I get that locations really only make sense when mapped to contexts, but there is one exception: Errands. It would be great if you could set a location on an action item if it is something you need to buy at a certain store. I guess the workaround is to make a subcontext for each location and set them there.
I guess I don't see how that is an exception, but no matter. If you have something you want to buy at a particular store (or class of stores), that's an action that has a context which is the location of that store. That seems no different to me than a task which must be done at your office, or in your garage, except that there might be multiple places where you can act on it. Contexts are cheap; some people seem resistant to the notion that having a bunch of them can make their life easier, but this seems like an obvious example. I wouldn't hesitate for a moment to make a context with a location for a one-time errand that needed to be done in a certain place. Easily deleted when you complete the action if you don't want to see it any longer.

The 3GS makes OF usable again. I had given up on it for months, just hating to go through the 20-30 second loading time. Now, it pops right up.

If only they could fix the project view bugs.

BZ

So I did pick up the 3GS - and wow, OmniFocus pops up now very very quickly.

I no longer hesitate to open it up on the phone, which I found I was doing before with my large(ish) list of things to do.

-- Morgan