The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing > iCal Sync
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Trouble syncing with iCal? [See first post in thread.] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by torlundgren View Post
Something I didn't quite understand in your post:

Let's say I have a task in OmniFocus e.g. "Eat Lunch" and I have the same task in iCal e.g. "Eat Lunch" (and the OmniFocus context and iCal calendar are linked in OmniFocus preferences). That is what you are referring to? In this case, you would recommend that I delete one or the other before syncing?

Or should the iCal task list be free of ALL tasks?
Sorry for the confusion: when we said 'make sure your events do not appear there', it was meant in the 'you should expect your events to show up in this column, not on the calendar' sense. We weren't saying that anyone should delete to-dos before synching.

I'll edit that to make the text less confusing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wok4 View Post
Secret to this was: The project in question was a sequential (?) action type, and the todo nor getting synced was nor the next one. Just bring it to the top (or change project type) and voila...
If you check the "Add blocked actions to calendars" box in Synch preferences, that will also accomplish what you're looking for...

Quote:
Originally Posted by torlundgren View Post
As you mention later, this completely resets SyncServices. Is this a more complete reset than the one that you can do through the 'reset sync data' button in the 'advanced' menu of the 'sync' tab of '.Mac' in 'System Settings'?
Either Ken or Kaebot would be better able to answer this, but they're not here right now, so you're stuck with me. ;-)

We used to recommend that folks reset their sync data that way. Sometimes it would work, sometimes it wouldn't. This way has worked more often than the old approach, in my experience. I don't have any specific evidence, though; just anecdotal.

Last edited by Brian; 2008-01-25 at 05:23 PM..

Would using Calendar Store solve these syncing problems? Can Calendar Store be used under Leopard with out breaking support for 10.4?

I'm having the most appalling problems keeping OmniFocus, iCal and PocketMac Blackberry happy with each other. It's currently a complete mess. I end up with large numbers of duplicated tasks in OmniFocus after syncing, none of which have the decency to appear in iCal. and the number of Calendar Sync errors that sync services is giving me seems to be increasing exponetially. I'd tend to think that the problem was the fairly ghetto (imo) PocketMac but OmniFocus isn't jiving with the task list in iCal, so it's probably not the problem *this* time.

Barring a better solution from Omni, anybody out there keeping OmniFocus and PocketMac in better rapport?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wok4 View Post
I had the same syncing problem, and after doing the terminal thing, I wondered why there are certain todos not coming over to iCal.

Secret to this was: The project in question was a sequential (?) action type, and the todo nor getting synced was nor the next one. Just bring it to the top (or change project type) and voila...

wok4

(Sorry for my bad english, ich kann besser deutsch schreiben...)

;-)
@wok.

THANKS! your english was fine and your solution was the user error i was looking for. I hoped it was me and not OmniFocus. Of course, it was. I was synching sequential tasks. Now most things are parallel so i can try to do everything at once.

Found this guide to resetting .Mac syncing via Merlin Mann's 43 Folders. Haven't tried it yet, but it looks useful!

http://arstechnica.com/journals/appl...-mac-sync-data

Randy

Hi Guru - thanks. My problem is a bit different, and may not be a problem but a feature. When I have completed tasks, and mark them done in Omni focus, they continue to appear in iCal after syncing. Even if I mark them done in iCal as well, they continue to sit there. Aren't "done" items supposed to go away?

how about adding a button in the inspector "post to event in ical"

This would allow to have an active role in deciding what goes to ical as an event and what goes to ical as a to-do.

Brian, Given that OF gets transferred as to-dos, what's the purpose of
the time option in OF action? Trying to figure out how to use it. Apologize,
if this has already been answered.

I don't think I'm the Brian you meant, but I'll give it a shot:

The duration option (with the little clock tooltip) is intended for your estimate of how long an action will take. If you use the View Bar, you can filter out actions that will take longer than 5, 15, 30, or 60 minutes.

That way, if you have 20 minutes before you have to do something on your calendar (also known as "hard landscape" in Getting Things Done jargon), you can show only actions that you think you can complete in 15 minutes or less. It's a way of helping you use your time more productively.