The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

real newbe question Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Apologies ahead of time for this one. I tried searching the forums, but had no luck.
What does the number label that sits over the omni focus icon signify? I thought this would signify a new item in my inbox, or a new task, but I tried an Entourage script that was posted on the forums and cannot find the e-mail that should be sitting somewhere in omifocus, yet there is a number "1" label sitting over the program icon when I cmd-tab over to it.

The badge on the OmniFocus icon signifies the number of overdue, due soon, or inbox items in OmniFocus:

If the number is red, it's a count of overdue items (actions and projects).
If it's yellow, it's a count of items that are due soon.
If it's gray, it's a count of items in your inbox.

OmniFocus follows that hierarchy: if there are any overdue items, it will show them. If there's nothing overdue, but things due soon, it will show them. If nothing is overdue or due soon, then it will show inbox items.

You can turn off this behavior in Data Preferences.

There is a "2" on the icon, but I can only see one item in my inbox. How do I see the other item?

The other item may not be in your Inbox. However, there are a number of ways you can spot the other item, in no particular order:

Click and hold on the dock icon, which will get you a popup menu listing among other things your contexts and a count of how many actions in each are overdue or due soon, and selecting one will get you a new OF window showing the items in that context

If you turn on Show Due Soon and Overdue actions in the Menu Bar (see the Data section of the OmniFocus preferences) you'll get a menu that will provide the same information, and selecting one will get you a new OF window showing the items in that context

If you turn on Show Due Soon and Overdue actions in the sidebar (again, see the Data section of the preferences) you'll get little numbers next to the projects or contexts showing overdue and due soon action counts and of course clicking will show you the project(s) or context(s) selected

You could use the Due perspective under the Perspectives menu or in the toolbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Click and hold on the dock icon, which will get you a popup menu listing among other things your contexts and a count of how many actions in each are overdue or due soon, and selecting one will get you a new OF window showing the items in that context
WOW! Thanks for that. I did not know that. Very cool!

Thanks! this is a great feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malisa View Post
WOW! Thanks for that. I did not know that. Very cool!
Dang... that is a nice feature. I would have never found it.