The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

What Happened to Save As? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen View Post
This is not a good answer. The decision to remove "Save As..." is arbitrary, and unintuitive. Why should I have to visit a forum to figure out how to use tools all over again? Safari 5.1 has a "Save As..." menu. BBEdit 10 retains "Save As...". There may be some conceptually elegant reason for eliminating "Save As...", but it doesn't make my work any easier.
This is not a useful workflow. It is typical to use a previous diagram as the template for a new/altered version. "Save As" is used to generate that new diagram and name it in one move.

Totally agree with Kaitain. This is new behavior and it is not intuitive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by susandale View Post
The trouble with no "save as" is there doesn't seem to be a way to indicate where I want a file saved (in which client folder, for example). Any advice?
See previous posts in the thread, Susan, for details on what's going on here. In particular, this post should be helpful.

If you want to save a copy of the document in the new location, you can use the "Duplicate" command in the File menu. Hope that helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitain View Post
"Save As" is used to generate that new diagram and name it in one move. If you choose "duplicate" you either have to then execute a second action immediately in order to specify the new name and location, or leave it "on the stack" in your brain as something gnawing at you, and which you might forget.
I TOO AGREE. Save As is important. Please put it back in. All other programs have Save as.......

Last edited by Brian; 2012-05-01 at 10:59 AM.. Reason: cut down on the amount of quoted text for better readability.

Jay, if there are changes you'd like to see here, I'd encourage you to use Apple's OS X Feedback page.

That will solve any workflow problems at the root, rather than requiring each app developer to devote resources to re-implementing this (possibly in different ways) in their own apps. Hope that helps!

Fortunately "Save As" is coming back in Mountain Lion, albiet only as a Keyboard shortcut.

My regular use of this (for the past 20+ years!) has been to create a new document with a different name (often after having made some edits), leaving the original in the state in which I opened it (or last deliberately saved it), thus avoiding having to go to the finder and do it there:

Snow Leopard Workflow
1. Choose Save As
2. Name file and hit Return

Lion Workflow
1. Choose Duplicate
2. Click "Duplicate and Revert" (to get the original back to original state at opening)
3. Choose "Save" on the Duplicate
4. Name File and hit Return
5. Click back to original document
6. Close Original Document

At least there is a "Duplicate and Revert" Option - saves one step reverting the original to it state at opening.

With all these steps in Lion it is certainly easiest to find the file first in the finder, duplicate it there and name the copy - but you need to know ahead of time that you are wanting to do this - my experience is that I'm often in the file before I decide that I want to fork the version with a new name.

Have updated to OSX 10.8 and Save As has returned to Omni Apps :-)

Does anyone know if Mountain Lion addresses this?

Uh, Matthew, did you read the post immediately above yours? Does it not answer your question?

Read this recent article, though:
http://www.zdnet.com/mountain-lions-...er-7000002179/
and the ones it cites.

In general, Mountain Lion saves the original document with all changes as well as creating a new one when one does a Save As... At that point the new one and the old one are identical. It's definitely not the behavior an experienced user expects. This behavior has been observed in the Apple applications. It may or not be the case with others. I don't have Mountain Lion; what behavior have people seen in Omnigraffle?

I did not notice the answer, whpalmer4, in my most recent rush to save the universe (again).