The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Resizing columns? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
My context names are sometimes so long that they need two lines. At the moment, I can't find seem to work out how to resize the column? The context column stay small even though I resize the app.

Is there a way of resizing the size of the context column?

Not yet.

--Liz

thought i'd ping this thread. when working in context view, several of my tasks take up extra space because their *project* name is longer than the width of the project column.

but the names aren't long at all (example: "check out amex rewards"). it's just that the column alloted for the project name is painfully narrow. in fact, i have a *ton* of white space in my window, simply because this column is so narrow.

the ability to resize this column would be so much more efficient, because in this view, my tasks are taking up almost twice as much space as they need to -- requiring me to scroll, when i otherwise wouldn't have to.

Long project names are hard to scan, so I keep them short and give more details in the note. If I have note text, I use an ellipsis (…) after the project name as an extra reminder

Quote:
"check out amex rewards"
If this project name is breaking over lines you're _really_ using a small window. The best thing you could do for your productivity, more than using OmniFocus, is to get a new Mac with a bigger display. The 20-inch iMacs are really cheap now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmytag View Post
My context names are sometimes so long that they need two lines. At the moment, I can't find seem to work out how to resize the column? The context column stay small even though I resize the app.

Is there a way of resizing the size of the context column?
Not within OF at this moment, but you could modify the preference file to accomplish this.

See here. http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=5030

It's not as complicated as it seems from the instruction.

Also, try the View --> Collapse Row When Not Editing option. This setting can be made independently in Context Mode and Planning Mode. You can still hover the mouse over the project column to see the full project name.

Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty Crunch View Post
If this project name is breaking over lines you're _really_ using a small window. The best thing you could do for your productivity, more than using OmniFocus, is to get a new Mac with a bigger display. The 20-inch iMacs are really cheap now.
No, I'm *not* using a small window. I appreciate your suggestion, but you're mistaken. Hence, my post.

Check out the screen capture I'm attaching. In purple, at the bottom right, look at the two project names: four words long, yet they're wrapping -- and notice all of the wasted white space, especially to the left of the project name!

This is what I'm talking about. The column for project names is simply too narrow. (And not that it really matters, but for the record, I have two 30-inch displays.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	context view.jpg
Views:	727
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	341  

Last edited by soundsgoodtome; 2007-10-16 at 12:06 PM..

Try this in the terminal, and then restart OmniFocus:

defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniFocus ProjectColumnWidth -int 200

The integer can be changed..

Perhaps we need to begin learning "text-messaging abbreviations" ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacco View Post
Try this in the terminal, and then restart OmniFocus:

defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniFocus ProjectColumnWidth -int 200

The integer can be changed..
Thanks for this tip.