The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: what is your experience, is omnifocus slow?
yes 6 25.00%
no 18 75.00%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Omnifocus is slow, very slow. Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Ominfocus is slow. I have many projects and tasks (over 100 projects, 1500 tasks). I have a 2.8 GH core 2 processor, 4GB of ram, so i dont think my machine is the problem. I think it has always been slow: opening a project view...

Last edited by bushi; 2010-08-04 at 12:35 AM..

I don't find OF to be slow, and my database is about twice that big. But that may just be a difference in our expectations. Two things to try:

You can archive function under the File menu to move completed tasks out of your main database.

This old thread mentions a setting that speeds up the display by tweaking what is displayed when opening a view

Curt

Thanks, Curt.

I know about archive function and i use it. I didn't know about "rebuild database" mentioned in the thread. It looks like omnifocus works better, but no so better I will expect. It takes 2-3 seconds to change between perspectives (project view to context view for example).

We've made some performance improvements with switching perspectives for the upcoming 1.8 release, have you tried the sneaky peeks? (I suspect that's what Curt is running.)

Last edited by derekr; 2010-08-06 at 09:17 AM.. Reason: longer-url

I've started running the Sneaky Peak version about a week ago. I haven't noticed any major changes in performance, but at the same time, I had no issues with performance with 1.7.x either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
We've made some performance improvements with switching perspectives for the upcoming 1.8 release, have you tried the sneaky peeks? (I suspect that's what Curt is running.)
good new you are working on performance.

I prefer to wait for a stable version. When will be 1.8 available?

people voting omnifocus is not slow: can you report some information about this?:

+ how many projects/tasks do you have?
+ how many secods take for you to switch from a perspective to another?

I've currently got ~1200 actions and ~180 projects, but I've had as many as 2,500 actions and 250 projects.

As an aside, performance seems about the same for me regardless of action/project count. So either there's little impact, or a difference of ~1,300 action and ~70 projects is not enough to notice a slow down, or the threshold at which performance starts to suffer is higher than I've reached. The person we should talk to is Bill (whpalmer4); he's pushed the limits further than anyone else I know.

Anyway, perspective switching is near instantaneous for me with no sidebar items selected and about one second (or less) for perspectives with something selected in the sidebar.

Note that I have the "LeaveEmptySelectionEmpty" hidden default enabled, so when nothing is selected in the sidebar, the main content area is also left empty.

I'm satisfied with the performance of switching perspectives in the 1.8 sneaky peek, although I wouldn't complain if things were even faster. :-)

-Dennis

Last edited by Toadling; 2010-08-06 at 07:50 AM.. Reason: mention of Bill's HUGE database

On my elderly 2 GHz Core 2 Duo Macbook w/3GB RAM, OmniFocus is definitely sluggish when doing things that require operating on the whole database, such as switching from project view to context view. However, I had an opportunity yesterday to try out my data on a Macbook Pro, 2.53 GHz Core 2 Duo w/4GB RAM and was stunned at the performance. I would not have expected such a dramatic performance improvement.

My database currently has about 630 projects (many of them about 3-5 actions in length) and just over 4700 actions. I do use the LeaveEmptySelectionEmpty tweak, and it helps, but not as much as a modern machine apparently would!

Yeah, I'm also on a very recent model MacBook Pro. Perhaps that's making a difference in my case.

Although I see bushi has a fairly recent model as well.

-Dennis