The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Dangerous Sync Problem? (data loss) Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
I use OmniFocus for extremely critical projects where I absolutely cannot afford to have it lose a task or mis-file a task. I am sure many of you are the same way.

Today I experienced a very unnerving sync problem that has got me considering switching away from OmniFocus alltogether.

I have been syncing through the OmniSync server for my Mac and my iPhone for a while now with no problems.

Here is what happened:
  • Yesterday, I was on an airplane with no connectivity, and I spent about 1 hour processing tasks from my inbox, moving tasks around, renaming them, re-filing them, adding them, etc.
  • When I landed, I did not have a chance to sync my laptop just yet. But I did use my iPhone in the airport terminal, to add a few more tasks to the inbox. It did sync during this time.
  • Later that night I got to the hotel and plugged my laptop in to sync. But I did not go over the projects.
  • Later when I looked at my iphone, an large amount of the work that I had done on the airplane had reverted itself!
  • Many of the tasks that I had filed on the airplane, moved around, etc., were back in the inbox! I have so many tasks that I have no idea how to track how much damage was done and how much information I did on the plane was lost. I have no idea if any new tasks were lost. But it seems like the data rolled back, and was merged with the new tasks I added on my iPhone.
  • I have synced my phone and my mac several times now and the syncing is working fine now. Adding and removing items is working now. But the data seems to have been lost that I did on the plane.

My question here is, what happened, and how can I make sure this doesn't happen again?

I'm worried enough that this will happen again at a random time that I no longer feel save trusting OmniSync to store my thoughts and my work.

I would like to know how to reproduce this problem, so that I know what to avoid to allow it to happen again. Otherwise I will have to switch away from OmniFocus.

Your help is really appreciated because I certainly do not want to move away. I love everything about the software and I really want it to work. I own it on my Mac, iPhone, and iPad and have been using it for a long time.

Thanks,
Mike