The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

How can I share Perspectives with others? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm setting up two new OF users. I duplicated an OF file backup of mine, opened it, and then pruned it down to some content and example projects and SALs, Folders, etc. The users will then open the file, copy, and paste into their OF db file.

I was about to start massively deleting Perspectives, then thought that they might not be tied to an OF file. I created a dummy Perspective (with the transfer OF file, not my 'real' file open), quit OF, reopened with my normal database, and came to the conclusion that Perspectives are not tied to an OF file.

Does the following sound like a reasonable approach for being able to share (email) Perspectives?

- With OF quit, duplicate ~/Library/Caches/Metadata/com.omnigroup.OmniFocus

- Open my transfer/example OF file.

- Modify (mostly delete) Perspectives I don't want to share.

- Email the contents of ~/Library/Caches/Metadata/com.omnigroup.OmniFocus to the users I wish to share the Perspectives with.

- I replace the modified Metadata ... files with the duplicate I made, returning them to as they were (for my system).

- They drag the OF metadata files into their Metadata... folder.

thanks

Bob

Sorry, at the moment there isn't any terribly good way to share perspectives: your perspectives always stored in your main database (no matter which database you might currently be looking at), and there isn't any good way to transfer them from one database to another.

We'd like to make it easy to export them to a text file (like the ones used by OmniFocus 1.6) which you could send to someone else, but that feature isn't implemented yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnibob View Post
- With OF quit, duplicate ~/Library/Caches/Metadata/com.omnigroup.OmniFocus
The ~/Library/Caches/Metadata/com.omnigroup.OmniFocus folder is where OmniFocus publishes Spotlight indexes for all the projects in your main database, so you can search your projects using Spotlight. But OmniFocus never reads any of this data (it's all auto-generated from the contents of your main database), and it isn't related to your perspectives.

Hope this helps, sorry for the bad news about the current state of sharing perspectives.

Thanks, Ken, for letting me (us) know how it works. It will be a very useful future feature to be able to share Perspectives. I'll donate my cool weekly review Perspective to the cause when that happens.

Bob