The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Syncing thru iTunes question Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm still a little fuzzy on how best to sync OO outlines with my iPad. I'm experimenting with doing it thru iTunes, and have added a bunch of OO outlines into iTunes' "OmniOutliner Documents" window. I press sync and they show up on my iPad just fine.

But if I update a document on my Mac, do I then have to re-import the newer version into iTunes to have it show up on the iPad? It seems as if I do. It seems like no matter what changes I make to the version on my Mac, I can hit Sync in iTunes all I want, and it's just going to keep sending the old version to the iPad unless I physically add the new version to iTunes.

So my first question is: is that right, or am I missing something?

2nd question: if I make changes on the outline on my iPad, and then sync thru iTunes, does the changed outline from my iPad overwrite the old file on my Mac, or do I have to do something manually to have the new version replace the old one?

Boy, I can't wait for iCloud sync ...

I may be wrong about this, but I believe the iTunes file interface is a one-time copy, rather than a two-way sync that persists going forward. From looking at your posts, I really think the Omni Sync Server is what's going to work best for you...

The iTunes approach for transferring documents to apps is indeed a one-shot transfer, and not an ongoing synchronization. It's just like dragging a file to a USB thumb drive.

Right. In playing around with both methods today, I see that with iTunes I have to drag the latest version into the OO Docs window, and then when I get home and sync to the iPad, drag the edited version out onto my desktop.

For my purposes, that's actually less clunky than using WebDAV - which had more steps to it. Open Finder, access the Server, copy the file to the folder on the server, then open the iPad, download it to the iPad, then upload it back to the server, and then drag it from the server to the desktop.

Different strokes, I suppose, but the iTunes method is cleaner for me. And because I'm used to plugging the iPad in when I get home, and iTunes opens up automatically, it's a visual reminder to me to get the edited document off there, and not start working on the older file on my hard drive.

Thanks for all the advice ... can't wait for OO on iCloud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
I may be wrong about this, but I believe the iTunes file interface is a one-time copy, rather than a two-way sync that persists going forward. From looking at your posts, I really think the Omni Sync Server is what's going to work best for you...
Does the Omni Sync Server work for syncing OO for mac with OO for iPad? If so, where can I find the instructions for setting it up?

Yep, the Omni Sync Server supports both editions of OmniOutliner just fine - if you contact our support ninjas, they can help you set everything up.