The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Paste problem Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Has anyone had the problem of being unable to paste what's on the clipboard into a project title in the outline? Even though the "paste" command in OF's edit menu is grayed out, the text pastes just fine into other applications. It was copied from a file name in the Finder. Has anyone had this problem? Any solution or suggestions?

I bet you are trying to paste into the sidebar. If instead you click in the project name in the main window, it should work. I don't have an answer for why this is so.

I think the inability to paste into the sidebar is a known issue. From what I remember, the fix was rather involved and OG didn't want to risk further regressions without more time to test. Hopefully they'll get to it soon.

For now, I do my pasting into the main outline as whpalmer4 suggested.

-Dennis

Pasting in this program is really a mess. I'm trying to move tasks from Things into Omnifocus. I'm giving up on Things, but in trying to transfer things over I'm starting to have second thoughts. It shouldn't be so hard to take a text list of items and paste it into a project as tasks.

It's a piece of cake. Select your block of individual lines of text. Now, go click on the row handle of the row where you want to insert (the little dot to the left of the checkbox), and paste. You'll get a new row/action for each line in the original. If you instead click in the text of the row, you'll get a multi-line action.

You seem to be describing the behavior I would expect, but what I see in practice is that no matter where I paste, it drops the items as new project entries in the root Library folder.

I'll go try your suggestion and see if clicking individual pixels is the right usage model. It still seems to me that if I have clicked on the project and then paste into the task list it should work as you described without me having to click individual dots.

Thanks for the help, though... I'm hopeful now. ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vramin View Post
Pasting in this program is really a mess. I'm trying to move tasks from Things into Omnifocus. I'm giving up on Things, but in trying to transfer things over I'm starting to have second thoughts. It shouldn't be so hard to take a text list of items and paste it into a project as tasks.

Vramin, I don't want to sound like a omni fanboy but I just recently migrated from Things too. Don't give up on OmniFocus too quickly. The more GTD your process, the more you will absolutely love OmniFocus once you get used to it. As far as organizing, this tool is wonderful! I had a workflow and an organizational method in Things and I ended up dropping it when I migrated to OmniFocus, realizing later that parts of my workflow were based on limitations in Things.

Ok, I'm done slinging mud. Readers, sorry for the negativity but I remember cautiously coming over to OmniFocus only a month ago.

On a side note, when I migrated, in Things I printed my tasks to pdf, select all in the pdf and copy, then paste into a textedit document, make the textedit document text format and save it. Open the text document in omnioutliner and touch up a bit and save as omnioutliner format then you can import the tasks straight into OmniFocus. Sound like a bit much work but it was much less than copy pasting one at a time. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriggs View Post
On a side note, when I migrated, in Things I printed my tasks to pdf, select all in the pdf and copy, then paste into a textedit document, make the textedit document text format and save it. Open the text document in omnioutliner and touch up a bit and save as omnioutliner format then you can import the tasks straight into OmniFocus. Sound like a bit much work but it was much less than copy pasting one at a time. Good luck!
Hey, that's a great idea! I don't think I've ever tried copy and paste from a PDF file, not sure why not, as it clearly works. But why not paste directly into OmniOutliner and skip the TextEdit step?