The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Is there a web-based or online Omnifocus edition? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
In general, web applications are great because they are cross-platformable. But they are unable to take advantage of specific OS hooks because they have to be generic enough to work on multiple platforms. You'd probably lose the quick entry box among other things.

And if you are in a cellular dead zone and unable to contact the server (for example, going through an underground tunnel), you are SOL.

Omni Group would also have to rewrite their business model and enter into a web business model. Going into cloud computing isn't as easy as you'd think. Look at Apple. They've screwed up MobileMe, had a lot of hiccups with iCloud, and are still trying to iron out the Mac App Store.

We've also seen quite a few cloud based task management apps such as Astrid has gone belly up. So converting OmniFocus to a web app isn't a sure shot.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/p...strid/2618141/

There are plenty of other cloud-based task management apps available with their own strengths and weaknesses. Why not give those a go first? At the moment, it doesn't look like Omni will be going full cloud computing in the near future. The closest they're getting is the OmniFocus syncing solution - not a full web app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
[Other Major Work Yet To Be Announced]
That'll be the long rumoured meal tracking app OmniNomNom.

I'd love to have a web-based app someday.

Hi,
This is not only about web based app...it is more with keeping up with the current reality (delegation, support material, Dropbox or evernote integration, calendar and so on...).
I have been using OF for 5 years now on Apple products...I like the flexibility it offers...but from a GTD perspective- an all in one solution - OF is far behind what is available.

I was hoping that OF2 would bring something new- I saw that they are now resuming development.

Too late I guess. After researching and testing I decided last weekend to transfer my OF projects to IQTELL. It looks like it is going to become the best full integrated GTD app.