The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Clippings with FireFox instead of Safari Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi - loving the clippings feature in OF for Mail and Safari, however I use Firefox as my main browser and am a bit disappointed every time I try to create a new task relating to a web page I am looking at.

Is there ever going to be a native "Clipping" method for Firefox - or do we have to resort to implementing some manual applescript trickery?

Sadly Firefox doesn't appear to support Services or even rich text copy & paste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wood View Post
Sadly Firefox doesn't appear to support Services or even rich text copy & paste.
I recently added OmniWeb to my Web arsenal. So far it seems to work great for my uses. It does both Services and rich text.

Bob

loving firefox for everything but lack of support for Services...

I have worked around this issue now by installing the Safari View Firefox add-on:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4641

Which allows me to view the current Firefox page in Safari. Great for creating my OmniFocus tasks, also handy if I feel the need to use Safari's web clippings feature to make a Widget.

I was a bit irked by the Firefox problem too so I spent some hours getting a fix done. It's not perfect but it works pretty well.

It's a long walk-through So I'll shamelessly link my blog post.

-m

Edit: Removed link as destination no longer exists.

Last edited by derekr; 2011-04-28 at 12:38 PM..

so it must be possible to do with an improved bookmarklet. (the currently available bookmarklet seems to only take the URL and page title, even if text & other elements are selected on the page).

Evernote seems to take a rich-text version "somehow". Yojimbo seems to store the full html. Both have bookmarklets that work in Firefox.

This is not meant as a criticism, only as a suggestion for perhaps solving the nearly show-stopping problem in OmniFocus (the dreaded error shown in the att'd image)

Here is Yojimbo's bookmarklet (Evernote involves an add-on as well as a bookmarklet so it didn't make sense to post only the bookmarklet):

javascript:var%20u='x-yojimbo://CreateItem?kind=WebArchive&name='+encodeURICompone nt(document.title)+'&location='+encodeURIComponent (window.location);var%20tags=window.prompt(%22Ente r%20tags:%22);%0Dif(tags!=null)%7Bu=u+%22&tags=%22 +encodeURIComponent(tags);window.location=u;%7D
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	unableToProcessClipping.png
Views:	673
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	1880  

I found a method to capture a WebArchive from Firefox to Curio and a way to get Firefox to direct SVN externally with settings that may be required here as well. Here is the link to the Curio notes of my findings that someone may be kind enough to consider and modify accordingly to get OF work with Firefox as they need.

http://www.zengobi.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1067

Otherwise, since I've not found a direct need for such a service in OF, I'd likely fall all over myself making mistakes if I tried to puzzle this one out.

HTH