The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Feature Request: Lock OOx file from inspector Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello Omni Team,

How about a check-box or similar otion in the inspector that will enable\disable file locking? I currently use something similar with TextWrangler and it is extremely helpful in securing the file in real-time and in an easy fashion.

The desired behavor would be that when selected, the UCHG flag is set so the file is effectively RO. The file MUST be saved prior to setting this flag so it also ensures that you save your work. Conversely, when the option is de-selected, the UCHG flag is unset making the file RW again.

Let me know what you think - Thanks.

I submitted a 'Lockable Document Elements' request 3 1/2 years ago in this thread but I don't know if OG ever even read it:
http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=483

WSG

Folks here read and browse the forums on an as-we're-able basis, and it does look like there's a request in the development database that covers locking individual elements.

That said, if you want to guarantee that your request is read and filed, you'll want to send it in from the Send Feedback item under the Help menu.
The number of folks requesting a change affects our planning, so doing this now still helps.

I don't see a request in the database for the ability to lock the whole file from the inspector, so emailing that would be a good idea, as well.

If you want to be sure that they'll read it, you need to use Help->Send Feedback or email to omnioutliner@omnigroup.com. There's at least one person per product whose job description includes reading all of the mail sent via those channels. From what Brian and others have previously said, the same is not true of forum postings. By all means, post on the forum to float ideas and drum up enthusiasm, but be sure to do the official route if you want to be sure Omni knows!

Ah, that's what I get for going back to 2006 and making sure people were asking for email/Send Feedback -- Brian beat me to the punchline :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Folks here read and browse the forums on an as-we're-able basis, and it does look like there's a request in the development database that covers locking individual elements.

That said, if you want to guarantee that your request is read and filed, you'll want to send it in from the Send Feedback item under the Help menu.
The number of folks requesting a change affects our planning, so doing this now still helps.

I don't see a request in the database for the ability to lock the whole file from the inspector, so emailing that would be a good idea, as well.
Brian,
I sent many e-mails for feature requests or for bugs back in '05 & '06 and nothing ever came of them. I got some auto-replies and a even a few replies form OG personnel. The fact that this particular request isn't in your DB doesn't mean I didn't send in the e-mail.

I seem to remember a thread back in '06 asking for OOP v4 feature requests ... those weren't sent in via e-mail either.

WSG