The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Keeping notes with a project? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Yes, but it's a bit convoluted. You have to go to a view that contains that project in a list (e.g. if it's not inside a folder, just tap "Projects" from the home screen so you're looking at all of your top-level projects). From there, click "Edit", then click the project's name. That will show you the notes. Hyperlinks are active, which is super handy, but I haven't tried embedding files.

OF Support ninjas, it would be nice to be able to get to a project's or task's notes without having to edit it... maybe if there was a "notes" button on the list item itself?

Thanks cebailey
I also agree with another way to view notes

I tend to avoid using project notes because I think I’m afraid that it’s not a robust storage system. Because I think it will weigh the database down too much. Because they might disappear. Or something. So I keep my OF project notes really minimalistic, despite the fact that I do have the organizational impulse to use the feature. I’d like to. I’m just afraid to start committing larger amounts of information to that field.

Should I get less tentative about using the notes feature? Or are my concerns (especially about DB bogging) somewhat understandable?

Make a dummy project, perhaps by duplicating your biggest project to date. Paste in a lengthy bunch of text as a note, as long as you think might reasonably happen. Select the project, copy it, paste it a few times, select the bunch of dummy projects, copy, paste a few more times, repeating the process until you have about as many of these projects with lengthy notes as you think you might reasonably expect. See if OmniFocus behaves appreciably worse. Delete the dummy projects and make your decision on how to proceed.

I don't think you have to worry about OmniFocus being any more prone to losing or corrupting notes than any other part of the database.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Make a dummy project ...
Smart idea. Thanks, I’ll give that a try.

Quote:
I don't think you have to worry about OmniFocus being any more prone to losing or corrupting notes than any other part of the database.
I’m sure you’re right. It’s probably more of a subtle UI question — something about the UI makes me squeamish about using the notes extensively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcloits View Post
...something about the UI makes me squeamish about using the notes extensively.
I think this speaks to someting a little deeper that I've been thinking about as well. It seems like it takes a lot more for me to "trust" OmniFocus than it does some other programs, and I think that's because of its complexity. There are so many different ways to slice and dice your info that between sequential and parallel, active and inactive contexts, blocking tasks, 'remaining' and 'available' views, and so on, I live in constant fear of something falling through the cracks.

I'm not usually one to gripe about something on the internet without offering a solution. However, I don't have any easy answers that don't involve removing some of the flexibility that makes the program so powerful in the first place. I think the answer lies somewhere in my review process and more careful handling of tasks as they come in, but at the end of the day, I would still say my system is far from bulletproof.

I'm always double checking on "myself " trying to keep my set-up as simple as possible .. did I let what David Allen calls " your inner geek" run wild and set up 10 new perspectives .. LOL..

The best thing I've done to control that, is follow Curt's example and set up daily review lists in O.O. that reference my perspectives. If they didn't fit that daily work flow, they weren't necessary .

I'm glad the OO checklists idea is working well, but I wouldn't restrict your perspectives to just what you use on a daily basis. I have a few that only get used on weekends or when I'm traveling.

That said, your advice to keep it simple is spot on. Let your system evolve slowly to meet your needs.

Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebailey View Post
There are so many different ways to slice and dice your info that between sequential and parallel, active and inactive contexts, blocking tasks, 'remaining' and 'available' views, and so on, I live in constant fear of something falling through the cracks.
Amen. I love OF ... I think. But some days it’s hard to tell, and I’m amazed and a little shocked at how I still routinely end up that quintessential OF dead end where I can’t see something that I know I put there, and I have to pretty much go through a frackin’ checklist of view options before I can figure out how to get a look at my own data. Sigh. I dunno. I wouldn’t really want to try to explain this to a new user ... not if I wanted to make a sale for Omni. It’s a problem, no doubt about it.

Sorry, probably wandering off topic here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcloits View Post
Amen. I love OF ... I think. But some days it’s hard to tell, and I’m amazed and a little shocked at how I still routinely end up that quintessential OF dead end where I can’t see something that I know I put there, and I have to pretty much go through a frackin’ checklist of view options before I can figure out how to get a look at my own data. Sigh. I dunno. I wouldn’t really want to try to explain this to a new user ... not if I wanted to make a sale for Omni. It’s a problem, no doubt about it.

Sorry, probably wandering off topic here.
I go through the same turmoil. The easiest way out of this is to hit the X with a circle around it located on the view bar. This resets the view. Then begin searching for key words.

If you still can't find the item, then change projects to all projects, and status to any status and start searching.

One of my favorite things about OF is the searching.