The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing > iDisk/MobileMe/.Mac Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OF does sync .... but later ... MUCH later Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello everyone,
are changes to an OF DB cached for some time before being transferred in a syncing process?

with the last OF versions for mac & iphone there has come up the following issue for me:
I sync a mac and an 2G iPhone several times a day. The process normally works quite well.
However after my weekly review on the last friday the following happened:
1) Starting situation: Friday, noon, both devices in sync.
2) I do tons of changes on the mac (the reviews brought about ~400 zip files worth of changes)
3) Mac Syncs to MobileMe
4) iPhone syncs to MobileMe
5) I realize: Not all changes are on the phone. As the iPhone version sometimes needs a restart or some time after a sync to display the fresh data i follow up with a restart of the iPhone OF app.
6) New data does not shop up on the phone.
7) Sync phone again, no changes.
8) Hmm, did the mac possibly fail to upload all changes? => Sync OF on Mac.
9) Sync phone again, no changes.
10) Doh!

In essence i synced both devices 6 times (each one at least three times), alternating between the both devices. Alls syncs ran well without any errors reported.

I ran the weekend with both devices not in sync (currently i have no internet connection @home) and on monday a single sync of both devices brought all the changes made on friday to the phone.

Now both devices are in sync.
I have no idea why the changes moved to the iphone only now but not already on friday.

I do remember having a similar issue a few weeks ago so this is not a one-off issue.

Confused
Silvan

No, whenever a sync happens all of the changes should be transferred. If you started the iPhone sync before the desktop sync had finished, you might not get the new changes until the next sync, but your multiple syncs should have taken care of that.

Before it changes any more, why don't you zip up a copy of your OmniFocus.ofocus file from MobileMe to preserve the transaction history. Then send email to the support ninjas or give them a phone call. There are some cases where the iPhone will sync but not appear to get the updated data, but they are pretty localized and it seems unlikely that they are the explanation for what you saw.

I've noticed that if I have an action from my Inbox displayed when my iPod syncs, and the sync brings over a change to that action, the display will not reflect that change, even if I go view some other Inbox action and return. However, if I go to the home screen and then return to the Inbox, the data will be up to date. If I'm looking at an action in a project, I have to go back out to the Projects screen and back into the project. Something to be aware of, but not likely to be the explanation for what you saw.

Well, sadly it's too late to check on the MobileMe files as i synced several times this day. I should've made a copy of those. :(

Regarding changes not showing up on the iphone: i have the same issue. Sometimes OF starts to "Optimize database" and thereafter the changes are shown but the only way to force this optimization reliably is to restart OF for iphone as you described.
However, that was not my issue, i tested for this twice after two syncs.
Cheers
Silvan

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
No, whenever a sync happens all of the changes should be transferred. If you started the iPhone sync before the desktop sync had finished, you might not get the new changes until the next sync, but your multiple syncs should have taken care of that.

Before it changes any more, why don't you zip up a copy of your OmniFocus.ofocus file from MobileMe to preserve the transaction history. Then send email to the support ninjas or give them a phone call. There are some cases where the iPhone will sync but not appear to get the updated data, but they are pretty localized and it seems unlikely that they are the explanation for what you saw.

I've noticed that if I have an action from my Inbox displayed when my iPod syncs, and the sync brings over a change to that action, the display will not reflect that change, even if I go view some other Inbox action and return. However, if I go to the home screen and then return to the Inbox, the data will be up to date. If I'm looking at an action in a project, I have to go back out to the Projects screen and back into the project. Something to be aware of, but not likely to be the explanation for what you saw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quorcork View Post
Well, sadly it's too late to check on the MobileMe files as i synced several times this day. I should've made a copy of those. :(
Maybe it is too late, or maybe not. Why not zip up what you have there and let the experts at Omni decide?
Quote:
Regarding changes not showing up on the iphone: i have the same issue. Sometimes OF starts to "Optimize database" and thereafter the changes are shown but the only way to force this optimization reliably is to restart OF for iphone as you described.
I didn't say you had to restart OF, only go back to OF's home screen (where it lists Inbox, Context, Projects, Due Soon, etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Maybe it is too late, or maybe not. Why not zip up what you have there and let the experts at Omni decide?

I didn't say you had to restart OF, only go back to OF's home screen (where it lists Inbox, Context, Projects, Due Soon, etc.)
Whoops, i mixed up home screen with the iPhones home screen, sry.
In my case going back to OFs home screen does not help, things still show the old data.
Cheers
Silvan