The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

A few "thumbs up" points about OW 5.5 Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Although any beta is going to have some problems, and that's what we tend to focus on in here, I thought I'd share a few points about OW 5.5 that I appreciate. In particular, now that we're on a very recent WebKit version (not the very latest nightly, but newer than the current release version), a bunch of problems I had in OW 5.1.3 and earlier are gone. I had a growing list of sites that I needed to use Safari for, which was getting to be a drag; happily, those all work in OW 5.5.
  • You can now press Command-Control-D while pointing at a word to get the OS X Dictionary pop up definition. It even works in a text input window. Awesome! I use it all the time.
  • Speed! OW 5.5 is lightening fast. It blows everything else away. I've been using it as my main browser since beta 1, and it continually impresses me how much faster everything is.
  • Unified toolbar looks great. Much cleaner and less distracting.
  • When there are updated bookmarks or new RSS items showing on the Dock icon, the "Mark All As Read" option seems to actually work now. Previously, it would remove the items from the list, but the icon badge would stay there, and annoy me until closing/reopening the app. I don't think that ever worked properly before.
  • Per-site custom style sheets. Not something I'll use often, but definitely good to have. I'd never use a global one, but I will certainly consider overriding certain style rules on sites I use often. One tip I'd like to share about this feature: have a look at the source of pages you visit often, and see if the container DIVs for advertisements or other things you don't want to see have a particular ID or class you can use with "display: none" to rip them right out of the layout. :)

This bug is also fixed:
In OW 5.1.3, if a document fits within the window and doesn't require a vertical scrollbar, but you then click a DHTML control that unhides a DIV or something, and makes it taller than the viewport, the vertical scrollbar correctly appears, but when rehiding that DIV, the scrollbar doesn't go away, and -- if hiding that DIV caused the page to scroll back up automatically, there would be some visual glitches.