The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

On how to get existing OmniGraffle files/stencils onto the iPad Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Just an FYI - if you have a dropbox account and have dropbox on your iPad you can put your stencils in your dropbox on your computer and then open it on the iPad.

http://graffletopia.com/stencils/42

I'm also a pc user and only a flat .gstencil file could work.
There are some parts of this stencil that already work.
What I need are 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 9 under the "ui components" folder.

I do like the app, but there really should be a warning to pc users.
Claiming that "Many third-party OmniGraffle stencils are also supported." is very misleading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nylife View Post
http://graffletopia.com/stencils/42

I'm also a pc user and only a flat .gstencil file could work.
There are some parts of this stencil that already work.
What I need are 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 9 under the "ui components" folder.

I do like the app, but there really should be a warning to pc users.
Claiming that "Many third-party OmniGraffle stencils are also supported." is very misleading.
Unfortunately, the Konigi website specifically disallows redistribution of the stencils, or I'd be happy to flatten them for you. I did send an email to their contact point asking them to put up a flattened copy (and offered to provide same). I started to take a look at what would be required to convert a stencil by hand a while back, but as it was more idle curiosity than pressing need, other more important projects pushed it off the table.

It might not be a particularly big challenge for someone who already understands the two different file formats to come up with a Python or Ruby script that converts one to the other for you PC folks. I would suggest that anyone who wants such a tool send email to omnigraffle-ipad@omnigroup.com and request it so that they know how much of a audience there is for it.

whpalmer4, thank you for your reply and suggestion.
In my frustration of trying to download, unzip, import and test to see how and if there is any stencil that can be used, I had completely forgotten to check the license...

Me bad. Turns out that the stencil I asked above can be imported with just a few tweaks. Here is how I do it, for future newbies like me:
1. Download the stencils and unzip.
2. Go within the folder of "ui components", here you will see some folders with '.gstencil' at the end of their filenames. Zip all these folders. (You could also zip other single .gstencil files in this folders if you like. But they can be imported through iTunes already.)
3. Email all the zip files to yourself. (Transferring through iTunes does not work for me somehow.)
4. Tap on the attachment in you iPad's email and choose "Open in OmniGraffle".

The key is to have the zip filename matches that of the contained stencil, as discussed above. And it is ok to send/use the zip file straight away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsparks View Post
Just an FYI - if you have a dropbox account and have dropbox on your iPad you can put your stencils in your dropbox on your computer and then open it on the iPad.
Wouldn't it be wonderful if you could save them back to Dropbox from OmniGraffle on your iPad.

Omni: Hint hint for a feature request.

Glenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDruce View Post
Wouldn't it be wonderful if you could save them back to Dropbox from OmniGraffle on your iPad.

Omni: Hint hint for a feature request.

Glenn
Hint: to make a feature request, use Send Feedback from the Omni menu.

Wouldn't it be great if the Omni Group made a small standalone program that does nothing but convert OmniGraffle stencils into the flat file format until the app supports anything else?

I imagine it would not be too hard, right?