The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Acrobat 8.0 PDF plugin not working with OW Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
The new Adobe Acrobat Professional 8.0 is Universal binary and installs with the option to support Safari by placing AdobePDFViewer.plugin in /Library/Internet Plug-Ins. It works with Safari and opens a window with the PDF file. With OW, however, the plugin is inactive by default. If activated, it will open a window with the Adobe icon in the center, but the document never loads. I know that Acrobat has been incompatible with gecko based browsers like Camino and Firefox, but AFAIK both Safari and OW are WebKit based.

I'm unable to find a PDF plugin which works with OW on an Intel Mac. The Schubert PDF plugin is PPC only and nonfunctional on Intel Macs. If anyone knows of one I sure would appreciate a link. I have to work with a lot of PDF's and it's a PIA to have to download an open Preview or Adobe windows each time...

From a couple threads on this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Case
We at Omni would be happy to support the Adobe plugin--unfortunately, they do not support us.

This is an Adobe issue--they make assumptions in their library that unless they are running in Safari, they are actually running in Acrobat/Adobe Reader--this will cause problems for any other WebKit application. The only reason that WebKit.app works is because it actually runs Safari underneath.
Quote:
Originally Posted by troyb
You can get OmniWeb to display PDF files without any helper plug-ins by turning a hidden preference off.

Quit OmniWeb, open a terminal window and enter this:

defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniWeb5 WebKitOmitPDFSupport -bool false

Now restart OmniWeb and PDFs should be displayed in the browser window! This feature is lacking some functionality at the moment but you shouldn't have any problem opening PDFs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest
From a couple threads on this:
Thanks. Activating WebKit PDF support worked to load the page, but no features like resizing. Oddly, changing text zoom for the page preferences on the PDF window changed the text size for the window behind it.