The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Extras
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Python OmniFocus library for generating reports Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I've wanted a reasonably flexible way of generating mardown/taskpaper/html reports of completed tasks from OmniFocus - but never quite found any love for AppleScript.

So I've developed a python library that directly reads the OF database and builds a complete model of the task/project/context hierarchy that can then be used to generate whatever you wish.

It's early days at the moment (there's no help at all yet) but there are example report generating scripts (for my purposes) that should get you going if you know python and sample AppleScript wrappers so you can add buttons that drive the scripts from the OF toolbar.

I've been using this for a few months now with no issues, but bear in mind that the problem of this approach (i.e. scraping the database) is that Omni make no guarantees about compatibility or support going forward. And nor do I :-)

Comments welcome.

The freshly minted GitHub repo is here.

Thanks

Now if only I could run this in Python on the iPad :-)

Any particular version of Python required?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Now if only I could run this in Python on the iPad :-)
Give it a try, tell me how it goes :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Any particular version of Python required
I'm using 2.7.3 I think (on my ipad right now), but I'm not doing anything clever so the built in version should do.

One odd problem I have at the moment seems to relate to wide character support, but only if launched from AppleScript, it's fine when started from the console - haven't got to the bottom of that one yet...

I like the elegance of the hierarchy handling – thank you !

Thankyou! It's actually my first Python program, it probably smells of Java :-)

I'm a Python novice, maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I get nothing when I try any of the reports. I did fix the obvious problem with my home directory being something other than /Users/psidnell, but if I try to run linkgen.py I get
Code:
bash-3.2$ python linkgen.py 
  File "linkgen.py", line 6
    def __init__ (self, out, types = {'Folder', 'Project', 'Task'}, indent=4):
                                              ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax
bash-3.2$
and the most I can get out of any of the other scripts is
Code:
# Weekly Progress Report

## Bill Palmer Sat Feb 09 2013

---
I'm running Python 2.6.1 on 10.6.8. Any suggestions on my next troubleshooting step?

Hmm - that first error in linkgen.py is odd.

I'm using Python V2.7.2 and OSX 10.8.2 the same as you. The line itself is valid - have you added any code above it? The syntax looks the same as mine.

It's a shame you're having issues with linkgen.py since that's the report I'd recommend starting with since it just dumps everything to html and then opens the browser on it.

As for the second issue with weekly report.py, it looks like the report is running but finding nothing to produce. This is most likely because of other config personal to my work flow:

1. weeklyreport.py looks throught all the folders for one called "Work" and only descends into that. Getting rid of that test should help.

2. donereport.py (which weeklyreport.py imports) looks for completed tasks in a context whose name starts with "Log" (I move only some completed tasks into a Log context at the end of the day so I can control what appears in it).

Let me know if this helps.

Just added an OPML printer, this is the output viewed in OmniOutliner:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	export.png
Views:	1462
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	2732  

Last edited by psidnell; 2013-03-02 at 07:53 AM..

Great work! I look forward to testing this out.

It wasn't working initially for me because I'm using the App store OF.

Once I pointed it to the correct db everything was working, but for anyone else's reference:

DATABASE = environ['HOME'] + '/Library/Caches/com.omnigroup.OmniFocus/OmniFocusDatabase2'

DATABASE = environ['HOME'] + '/Library/Caches/com.omnigroup.OmniFocus.MacAppStore/OmniFocusDatabase2'

Thanks! I didn't realise there were two locations.

I might get it to check for both in the next update...

Last edited by psidnell; 2013-03-16 at 03:53 AM..