The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Feature Requests
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Merge All Windows Button + Use Image As Desktop Background Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
So you have a million windows open, but you just want them all to turn into a tabbed selection, the merge all windows button is very important and can make browsing the web a more enjoyable experience.

Also why can I not do the obvious feature of setting an image I like as my desktop?

Thanks for the requests, just thought I would pass along a windows to tabs applescript that I use which may help with the first task you're looking for:

Code:
tell application "OmniWeb"
	set mainBrowser to front browser
	set frontID to id of front browser
	set background to (every browser whose id is not frontID)
	repeat with theBrowser in background
		set theAddress to address of theBrowser
		tell mainBrowser to make new tab at end of tabs with properties {address:theAddress}
		close theBrowser
	end repeat
end tell

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyb View Post
Thanks for the requests, just thought I would pass along a windows to tabs applescript that I use which may help with the first task you're looking for:

Code:
tell application "OmniWeb"
	set mainBrowser to front browser
	set frontID to id of front browser
	set background to (every browser whose id is not frontID)
	repeat with theBrowser in background
		set theAddress to address of theBrowser
		tell mainBrowser to make new tab at end of tabs with properties {address:theAddress}
		close theBrowser
	end repeat
end tell
That just caused Terminal to crash...

Why would you be using Terminal? It's an AppleScript for use in Script Editor

I don't think I have the script editor though, I'm not a programmer, I'm a graphic artist.

It comes installed on your Mac. Look in the Applications folder, in the Applescript folder. As I recall, you'll want to first run the Applescript Utility to click the "Show Script Menu in menu bar" and set the default script editor to Script Editor (if it isn't there already). This only needs to be done once. You'll get a little menu (a stylized scroll) in the menu bar that will allow you to launch saved scripts from various applications.

The Script Editor is also located in the Applications/Applescript folder. Start it up, and copy and paste the script in the thread into the window it will give you for editing scripts. Click the Run button to run the script to try it out. If you like what it does, you can save the script for later use. If you save an application's scripts in <your home directory>/Library/Scripts/Applications/<application name> they will only appear in the menu when you are in the appropriate application. For OmniWeb, this folder would be <home>/Library/Scripts/Applications/OmniWeb, and you'll have to create the OmniWeb folder the first time you try to save a script there. When you save your script, the defaults of File Format: Script and no other options checked should be fine. See the Script Editor help for more information on some of the fun stuff you can do even if you're not a dyed-in-the-wool programmer type.

Thank You, My OmniWeb experience has now improved, but for the sake of inquisitor ( http://www.inquisitorx.com/safari/index_en.php ) I still use safari a bit, and Ie 5.2 for the retracting toolbar, but merge all windows is good, what about setting a image as the desktop background?

If you have an image you want as your desktop image instead of one of the Apple-supplied ones, open up System Preferences (under the Apple menu), click on Desktop & Screen Saver, and have at it. What to do should be pretty apparent.