The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Feature Request: task prioritization! Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Interesting post about prioritizing.

I wonder if this could be implemented with folders?

Because OmniFocus prioritizes based on order, could folders be created to place projects in?

1. Due. This can be set for projects/tasks
2. Priority: This could be set up with folders.
3. Job / life goals: this could also be folders, with the priority folders as subfolders.

Example:
Fly to the Moon - Folder
--Urgent - Folder
--Must Do - Folder
--Should Do - Folder
--Could do - Folder

By placing projects in the folders, the priority will be set for them. Urgent projects will be at the top of the list.

Although in the GTD system, Should Do and Could Do might be placed in the Someday/Maybe list for review later on.

The EASD folders could be placed within the priority folders.
Fly to the Moon
--Urgent
---My Projects
---eliminate
---automate
---streamline
---delegate

An interesting concept. I start to resist the amount of system maintenance this may introduce. It can be difficult to know the resistance until it is tried on a daily basis.

There is an estimated time filter in OmniFocus, this would allow you to only see the actions that take a certain amount of time and focus on those.

If you want to focus on a life goal, a user could select the Fly to the Moon folder, focus on it, and only see projects that move that project forward.

As far as sub-actions. I find they are a terrific way to plan out a project. When I get to an action that cannot be done I ask myself, what steps do I need to do to move this action / project forward. I then list those sub actions under that action / project. If I get to another action that I cannot move forward on, I ask the question again, what steps do I need to do to move this action forward.