The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Can't get iPhone to find sync server? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I recently purchased the OmniFocus iPhone app, but have been unable to
sync OmniFocus with my iPhone. I am trying to sync via Bonjour.

While I am on my wifi network, when I try to Sync, the iPhone continuously reads as "searching" and never finds my name. When I tried to have my Mac email me the settings, when i open the email on the iPhone and click the link it reads . . .

"Unable to find sync server.

No server could be found that matches your sync settings.
Please make sure that your sync server is awake and that OmniFocus is open."

Both my Omnifocus is open and my sync server is awake.

Help?

Is the Mac running OmniFocus also on the WiFi network, or does traffic have to go through another device to get to it? Do you have a firewall turned on on the Mac?

I am on a university wide WIFI (so don't have access to the router) and, yes, my Mac is on the same network. I have set the firewall to accept all incoming connections for Omnifocus. Any other ideas? I still can't sync.

I can't use Bonjour syncing on campus either. Not sure if this is your problem, but on my campus we have Cisco wireless access points. Bonjour uses a connection standard called "multicast DNS". The Cisco equipment has a bug where multicast DNS is magically disabled after some period of time. Unfortunately there is nothing that Omni can do about this; it's a Cisco problem.

(The problem effects all wireless Bonjour traffic. For example, two laptops on the wireless network can't share iTunes libraries either.)

Curt