The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Review & Repeat every Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Could someone explain or point me in the right direction how 'Review' and 'Repeat every' features are supposed to work and be used?

Thank you,

As for review -

I've gone through my projects and set the appropriate time between reviews (x weeks or x months). Then, trying to do this consistently once weekly, I use the filters ( active projects; Next review; unsorted; remaining; any; all) and look at each project for the next week (at times I then look at the next month). Once "reviewed" I hit the "Mark Reviewed" tool and the project disappears; I go on to the next.

But I just discovered this moring that the July 10 and 11 builds were no longer working, in that the project didn't go away. I don't know if this is a bug or whether I just wasn't using all this correctly. [Correction - since my last review, the "within the next week" is empty, so the reviews I did previously stuck. It's the "within the next month" that the projects don't go away.]

Last edited by pvonk; 2007-07-11 at 09:32 AM..

Repeat is for actions or projects that you actually need to do over and over again. For example, you might create a repeating action called "water the plants" and have it repeat 4 days after its completion date. You might also have a project called "Do Taxes" (with actions like "gather receipts" and "find 1040") that repeats every year, due on April 15th.

Review is for things you want to think about occasionally, but aren't necessarily doing over and over again. For example, you might want to review all your "Someday" projects once a month to think about whether maybe you should start "remodel kitchen" or just admit that you're never going to "pursue crazy business idea".

When I set a project to repeat yearly, and I complete it, I expect that a new project with a start date 11.5 months away will be generated. This is not happening. The project is just marked "completed". When will a new or updated project be generated for next year? how does this work?

I think our engineers are working on that right now. We're trying to sort out what to do with a project that repeats, but also contains actions which repeat and some other funny situations.

What is supposed to happen when I have a repeating project? Mine had no repeating tasks in it, but when completed, it just well... went away.

I would expect it to come back into the list somehow, probably the second after I marked the old one as complete, just like an action.

The other, and cooler way, would be a preference for how you want your repeated projects and tasks to appear again.

- Repeated tasks come back ever X XXXXs.
- Repeated projects come back ever X XXXXs.

So I could set projects to pop up and back 1 week before they are due or tasks that come back instantly.

Actually, it might be better to just have it as a preference for the project/task so different projects could come back at different times.

I might want a yearly project to show up 2 months before it is due and a weekly project to show up 3 days before it was due.

Same thing with tasks, long task (monthly, every year) I might want to come back a few weeks before they are due but weekly I only want to show up a few days before they are due.

BZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BwanaZulia
What is supposed to happen when I have a repeating project? Mine had no repeating tasks in it, but when completed, it just well... went away.

I would expect it to come back into the list somehow, probably the second after I marked the old one as complete, just like an action.

The other, and cooler way, would be a preference for how you want your repeated projects and tasks to appear again.

- Repeated tasks come back ever X XXXXs.
- Repeated projects come back ever X XXXXs.

So I could set projects to pop up and back 1 week before they are due or tasks that come back instantly.

Actually, it might be better to just have it as a preference for the project/task so different projects could come back at different times.

I might want a yearly project to show up 2 months before it is due and a weekly project to show up 3 days before it was due.

Same thing with tasks, long task (monthly, every year) I might want to come back a few weeks before they are due but weekly I only want to show up a few days before they are due.

BZ
Isn't this what start dates are for? I would like the option to hide projects whose start date hasn't arrived. I know I can use the Available filter in project view, but I still want to see Remaining actions for other projects.

Curt