The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Getting perspectives to work - pic included Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi!

I'm moving from Things to OmniFocus. OF has subtasks! Among other things..

I'm using Perspectives (and have read the manual) and am trying to create a Today screen. It's only showing flagged items and should show up as a new window. That works great. But I can't get rid of the folders/lists view to the left (see picture above). When ever I restart the program I get the folders/lists view which I don't want to see.

I've tried using the options: focus, layout, expansion and selection in various combinations. Whats the correct combination? I can't get it to work.

Thanks!

Tore

Make sure that restore layout is checked for the perspective. Then, open the perspective, drag the line between the main outline pane and the sidebar all the way to the left to hide the sidebar. Then select 'Perspectives>Take Snapshot of <YourPerspectiveName> to save the view.

Hi!

Thanks for your swift answer!

I doesn't work with my setup. I'm using the Today-window poped out. If i kill that window or restart the program it doesn't work. It seems to be related to how the default projects/inbox is setup, I guess.

This is the today-screen settings:

And this is from inbox:

I've setup the inbox since it was somehow affected by the Today-perspective.

Is this a bug? I'm using 1.7.4.

Thanks again!

The app doesn't automatically start up with "Today" activated, but if you choose it from the menu after launching, does it work? If not, contact our support ninjas and we're happy to help.

In addition to what Brian has suggested, I think you might find a 'Today' perspective works best in context mode. It will also sync to the iPhone version of OmniFocus, while project contexts currently do not. Here is a snapshot of mine, although I will add that I do not hide the sidebar as you have asked about. I find it helpful to have the contexts visible in the Sidebar so I can click on one or more contexts to focus my attention, similar to how one would click on tags in Thing's Today view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
The app doesn't automatically start up with "Today" activated, but if you choose it from the menu after launching, does it work? If not, contact our support ninjas and we're happy to help.
Hi Brian!

With "start up with Today activated", I don't mean that I want the window to appear automaticly when I start the program. Launching from a menu doesn't help (or by keyboard shortcut I've set). The listview is there until I adjust ut, save it again and doesn't close the program.

I'll check with the ninjas!

//Tore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Jones View Post
In addition to what Brian has suggested, I think you might find a 'Today' perspective works best in context mode. It will also sync to the iPhone version of OmniFocus, while project contexts currently do not. Here is a snapshot of mine, although I will add that I do not hide the sidebar as you have asked about. I find it helpful to have the contexts visible in the Sidebar so I can click on one or more contexts to focus my attention, similar to how one would click on tags in Thing's Today view.
Thanks for the suggestion Greg. I'll have to try working with contexts also. Although I'll probably settle for the iPad version as my companion. I've never had a iphone-GTD-app that I've actually used for more than inboxing.