The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

How to make OmniFocus work for complex projects? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyprint View Post
Ok. But where is this forecast view that you've mentioned?
Whoops! I failed to notice which forum the post was in - Forecast view has been added to the iPad and iPhone apps, but isn't currently available in the Mac app. (We'll add it, just hasn't happened yet.)

On the Mac, I'd suggest setting up a Perspective that shows any items due soon or which you've flagged. See this post for an example of such a perspective.

Quote:
I'm not sure why OmniFocus doesn't also include Tags for further sorting.
Heh, it's safe to say this isn't the first time we've been asked that. This post describes our thinking in as concise a manner as I could manage then or now. :-)

Quote:
Thanks very much for sending that. I'm actually looking for more clear cut examples and templates, e.g., some of the set ups that I've seen on the Asian Efficiency website.
AE's a great resource; David Sparks did a series of screencasts that are similarly awesome, and his blog is a wealth of information.

The most comprehensive set of suggestions is probably Kourosh Dini's Creating Flow With OmniFocus eBook.

At the risk of selling us short, there are also a articles on our blog that may be helpful, as well as a number of presentations from our Macworld Expo booth about OmniFocus.

Sorry for the slightly hand-wavey answer; in my experience working with customers, I try to shy away from issuing "this is the one true way" proclamations. Folks have individual preferences which may (or may not) be strongly held, differing levels of experience... there are a lot of variables to take into account.

Personally, I do better with "I'd like to do <foo>, how can I?" sorts of questions. :-)

Quote:
Whoops! I failed to notice which forum the post was in - Forecast view has been added to the iPad and iPhone apps, but isn't currently available in the Mac app. (We'll add it, just hasn't happened yet.)
Gotcha. When do you think that it'll be out? I've just bought OF (yeah!), but that's one feature that's seriously lacking... By the way, dos it get any easier to move tasks up and down (i.e., to re-order them) in the desktop version? That's another feature that could be seriously improved.

Quote:
On the Mac, I'd suggest setting up a Perspective that shows any items due soon or which you've flagged. See this post for an example of such a perspective.
Thanks. I'm still trying to find Contexts that better serve my purposes, and would appreciate any other ideas / suggestions you might have for those of us who work at home offices, and work at a computer. That sort of limits many of the Contexts that others have suggested.

I understand that many folks on this forum disapprove of using contexts like @Urgent, @Important, or @A/@B/@C. But I read this article that seems to strike a good compromise between using the contexts that you suggest, and integrating an ABC priority system for triaging flagged items:

http://www.asianefficiency.com/task-...bc-priorities/

I’m wondering what you make of the ideas contained in the article, and am wondering if there might be a better system or way to build from what the authors have outlined in the article. Thanks!

Quote:
Sorry for the slightly hand-wavey answer; in my experience working with customers, I try to shy away from issuing "this is the one true way" proclamations. Folks have individual preferences which may (or may not) be strongly held, differing levels of experience... there are a lot of variables to take into account.
No worries at all, and thanks very much for providing so many resources. Like I said, I'm while I appreciate the suggestions you’ve provide, few of the Contexts work for me because I work at my home office, and mostly on my computer or on the phone. So, @Office or @Home or @Computer contexts aren’t really applicable. Likewise, People, Roles and service providers don’t really apply, and some of the other context categories seem interesting (e.g., time spans) but not totally useful or relevant. So, do you have other ideas or suggestions for other contexts that might be better suited for someone who works at a home office, mostly doing work on the computer and phone…? Are there other templates / resources that might provide such examples Thanks!

Quote:
Personally, I do better with "I'd like to do <foo>, how can I?" sorts of questions. :-)
I hear ya... Ok, you're on! Ok, so I've set up my Projects folder to contain a folder of "Daily Reviews and Actions," which contains a Single Action subfolder (there's probably another name for it) that contains individual tasks. This "subfolder" has been set to repeat each morning during an assigned time, and contains about five tasks that I need to look at and cross off during my morning. I wondering: (1) How do I get rid of (or store) the checked off subfolders of old tasks? Right now, they're cluttering my Project index view, and I'd like to dispose of them in some way. (2) Is there a way in which the Single Action "subfolder" can pop up into a separate window when the (repeated) start date / time goes off?

Also, quickly, how does one toggle the "Clear" view? And what's the difference between using Saving Window As to save a particular perspective view and Take Snapshot of [fill in the blank view]? I never know which to use to save a particular Perspective view.

A quick questions re: Syncing... I travel to remote locations where I don't have access to servers for syncing. One of your colleagues told me that Apple doesn't allow 3rd party applications to sync via iTunes, but OmniFocus can allow you to sync over a local wireless network via Bonjour. So, I've been using Bonjour...but it seems like the syncing has been rather uneven (i.e., it hasn't been syncing in a bilateral way very well)... So, I'm wondering if there's another suggested route for syncing -- both while I'm here in the US and can (should) have optimal syncing AND when I'm traveling overseas and will have limited / no access to wireless servers for syncing.

Finally...my friend and I just bought OF together, and are wondering if it's possible to share / sync a particle joint set of tasks (or Project or Context) together. Any ideas / recommendations on how best to do this?

Thanks so much for all of your help!