The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Location-Based Contexts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper TFG View Post
We really need a push alert / alarm for when we are near a location where we have a task to do..
But to do that, the device needs to know where it is on a regular basis, and that's going to chew up the battery faster.

Well I can't say I am not disappointed. I wander about in an "ADD cloud" with a zillion things going off in my brain + I often like to listen to podcasts while I am walking alone.

I was looking forward to the full "Minority Report" shopping experience...

I would like a 'within 1 mile' shopping context list.

So I have parked my car, I am about to go walking in an area with a lot stores. What procedure do I do to reveal tasks I can complete on foot?

Can someone walk me through the procedure step by step please?

Thanks,

Since the iPhone doesn't support background applications, OmniFocus would need to be open for the phone to notice that you were nearing a place where you could get something done.

The current setup would work in your shopping mall scenario, casper, provided you had contexts set up that could handle the stores in that mall. (Probably using a combination of name searches and more generic business searches.)

Arrive at the mall, open OmniFocus, hit the Nearby Contexts button, and start shopping.

There's also a feature request open for the ability to discard whatever result a business search returns and have OmniFocus pick another. It sounds like a couple of folks in this thread want to see that added, so they should email the support ninjas and ask for it. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Since the iPhone doesn't support background applications, OmniFocus would need to be open for the phone to notice that you were nearing a place where you could get something done.

The current setup would work in your shopping mall scenario, casper, provided you had contexts set up that could handle the stores in that mall. (Probably using a combination of name searches and more generic business searches.)

Arrive at the mall, open OmniFocus, hit the Nearby Contexts button, and start shopping.

That seems easy.. Thanks

I'm a new 3GS owner from the original 2G, so I've never looked at the location services in OF until now. I love the idea of being able to see what actions I have to do based on where I'm at, but wanted to know if there was a way to combine contexts or have multiple locations associated with a single context?

For example, if I have an @Lowe's, @Ace, and @Home Depot, I'd like all of those to roll into a @Hardware Store (or use the GPS coords from those stores in a single context) so any actions related to do at a hardware show up whenever I'm in front of that store. Any suggestions?

You could make an @Hardware Store context and move the @Lowes, @Home Depot, @Ace Hardware contexts underneath it. This will allow you to give each of them a business search for that store (chain) alone, but give the @Hardware Store context a business search for all of them -- Lowes OR Home Depot OR Ace Hardware (the capitalization of OR is significant, btw). Stuff you are happy to get at any hardware store you encounter, you put in the top level context. Stuff you prefer to get at one particular chain, you put in that chain's context. When you are out and about, and stop in at a Lowes, obviously you'll see the Lowes items at the top of the list, but you can also quickly check the @Hardware Store context, using the All Actions feature in 1.5 to see the stuff you have on the list for the other stores, in case it might make sense to buy it where you are, now. Maybe you put something on the Home Depot list because their prices for left-handed spanner wrenches tend to be better, but you're at Lowes and today they have left-handed spanners on sale.

As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words:

I get my 3GS next week..

With some pre configuring (like the photo of the list above this post) Can you nominate say, a whole area as an @context area with geo reminders?

So you park your car - in a shopping area check OF and it tells you what you need to (can) get in that say, square mile..?

How would you set distance parameters..?

Perfect! I played with yesterday afternoon and it works great. Now even if I think I'm going to get something from store 'X', I can be reminded when I'm at store 'Y' and see if an alternate is available. Thanks.