The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Single tasks as project groups & context vs project group Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case
It sounds like there's some misunderstanding about OmniFocus' design, so let me see if I can clear that up. (Whether or not it's a good design is another question, but let's start by getting on the same page about what the design actually is.)

OmniFocus doesn't have subprojects.

What OmniFocus does have is a list of projects, which you can organize into a hierarchy using folders. Each project has some unique project attributes, like its status and its next review date.
I actually completely agree with this general design philosophy. But what I really don't like is that there are some attributes that are NOT unique to projects but are handled differently for action group.

Chief among these is the parallel/series setting. It drives me crazy that on one hand projects: 1) default to series, 2) show a black icon for series, 3) show a gray mouse-over icon for parallel, and 4) can be change by clicking. But on the other hand action groups 1) default to parallel, 2) never show an icon, and 3) can only be seen/changed via context-menu. I would very much like a more unified UI on this.

Also, projects and actions groups can both have a default context, but they are only visible/editable for action groups.

Finally, I would also like better handling for action groups with no remaining actions. I frequently loose sight of a project because an un-checked action group is preventing other actions from becoming available. I usually catch it during my weekly review, but a week is a long time to forget about a project.

I submitted these thoughts as feedback some time ago. It would be nice hear what the omnians have planned for this.