The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

function keys / background colors Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Here's a message I sent to OmniFocus Feedback:

I'd like to be able to set the background color for actions like I can for items in Outliner, by pressing a function key.

So I could set a meaningful code for me. For example: F1 (yellow) for quick, F2 (green) for urgent, F3 (blue) for "waiting for", and so on. Then a quick look would be enough to locate certain types of items without messing with grouping and sorting. This is the one thing I really miss from when I used OO for my to-do list.

The beauty of such a feature is that each person could use it their own way. Someone might want to distinguish work from personal that way, or set priorities, or whatever.

And people who think the program is perfect as it is wouldn't have to use it.

Please consider this!

--Henri

I second this request. I would have the following use cases:
  • Mark things to be done during a particular time frame in the near future: today (brown), when I pick up the kids (blue), this weekend (green), in the train (purple), etc. I would use 4 or 5 colours.
  • General way of marking things for some purpose like 'this should go there, this one too, this one too, hmmmm, flip to context mode, this one too, back to planning, select colour, drag drop into its spot, remove colouring'
  • 'Lots of stuff to be done ... bad, bad, bad ... this is what I am going to try and finish today, click, click, click'.
  • 'Select green, select a nice and slimy toad from the list, sulk for a minute, and then get started'.

Example in my self-made todo list manager:

If you want to second the request and have it count for anything, you need to send email to omnifocus@omnigroup.com, or use Help->Send Feedback in OmniFocus. Otherwise, the only note/vote for the feature in the development database will be Henri's -- no one goes through and counts forum postings when trying to assess interest in a feature while planning development efforts. Posting to the forum is a useful way to drum up more interest in an idea, but the people who are interested need to do as instructed above to have that interest be noted.