The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Please revert change that now shows On Hold project items as "Remaining" Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
In 1.9 there was a change made so now if you have a project on hold, all the items for that project still show up in the "Remaining" filter of any context perspective. This has made several of my perspectives completely useless. For example:

I have a perspective called "Timeless" to show me all contexts that are missing an estimated time. I use the estimated time for other perspectives but I occasionally forget to put it in when I'm entering items, so this perspective helps (or helped) me keep things tidy. No longer. Now it's full of hundreds of items from my "On Hold" projects. I often brainstorm tasks for Someday/Maybe projects when I put them On Hold, but I don't necessarily add contexts, flags, estimated times, etc.

There are a bunch of other use cases that this change breaks as well, and I fundamentally don't understand the rationale behind it. Under the GTD ideology, for example, stuff on your "Someday / Maybe" list is just that: stuff you might do someday. It doesn't need to be fleshed out and fully developed like your active projects. It's a place to keep track of ideas and potential projects that you might pursue later. I always assumed that "On Hold" was intended to be analogous to that. In my view, items from a project marked On Hold shouldn't show up anywhere, and certainly not across all my views where I'm trying to get a handle on my active projects. It's just meaningless clutter.

I've emailed the support ninjas, but I'm so incredibly frustrated by this change and I wanted to see if anyone else is frustrated as well, or has found a way to work around it.

I have two solutions if the Omnifocus folks are bound and determined to stick to their change:

1. Give us an option on whether to include items from On Hold projects in the Remaining filter.

2. Add another filter option below Remaining besides "Next Action" and "Available" that includes everything other than the "On Hold" project items.

Am I just way off base here?

Does it help to switch the project filter to "Active" back on the project view?

"Active" alone isn't good enough because it won't show all actions in a serial project.

I like suggestion 2, to add another filter under Remaining--"Not On Hold" or something like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natkin View Post
"Active" alone isn't good enough because it won't show all actions in a serial project.
I'm specifically referring to the Project Filter, not the Availability Filter — are you sure you're looking in the same place?

But ryanwaggoner is writing about Context perspectives, where there's no Project filter.

I emailed support to mention that there is an inconsistency between the Mac and the iOS versions:

iOS (Context view, Remaining) does not include items in projects On Hold.
Mac (Context view, Remaining) includes items in projects On Hold

Since there may be users of both filters, I do think suggestion 2 would accommodate all users: create a "Remaining (not On Hold)" to describe the current iOS filter (with a slight change to also exclude Context On Hold),. "Remaining" could describe the current Mac filter, which includes items On Hold.

Quote:
But ryanwaggoner is writing about Context perspectives, where there's no Project filter.
I'm with you on that. What I'm trying to describe is changing the project filter to Active on the projects view and then switching (View → Context Mode) to the contexts view, which appears to me to provide exactly what you're trying to achieve. Have you tried that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
What I'm trying to describe is changing the project filter to Active on the projects view and then switching (View → Context Mode) to the contexts view, which appears to me to provide exactly what you're trying to achieve. Have you tried that?
I just tried that, but it doesn't seem to work that way. The Project filter is not active in a Context view; nor Context filter in a Project view. The Perspectives window also shows this, where toggling View Mode determines whether "Project Sidebar Filter" or "Context Sidebar Filter" is eligible.

Quote:
I just tried that, but it doesn't seem to work that way. The Project filter is not active in a Context view; nor Context filter in a Project view. The Perspectives window also shows this, where toggling View Mode determines whether "Project Sidebar Filter" or "Context Sidebar Filter" is eligible.
Oh, you're right — I thought it respected the project filter but apparently it doesn't. Sorry!

This still has not been addressed in 1.9.1. Can we please get some response or feedback from the developers on why this change was made and when we can expect to have it fixed?

Send in your question with Help→Send Feedback, and you will get some sort of response...if you add a link to the forum thread, maybe they'll answer here, too.