The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

using Outlines (from OmniOutliner on iPad) on Windows PC Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have successfully created an outline in OmniOutliner for iPad, exported it as an XML document and gotten it delivered to my PC.

I can't open the document in Word (the diagnostic is "DTD is prohibited").

If I simply double-click the document, it opens in my browser -- but it is just presented as a series of statements in XML.

So, I have two questions:

1. How can I open this XML document in Windows and have the application interpret it so that is appears in the format that it has in OmniOutliner?

2. Once I do #1, is there any way to copy it to Word, preserving the formatting?

I like these outlines I can create on my iPad. The only problem is that my next step -- almost always - involves using them in Windows on my PC. My customers typically use Windows.

I've found Omni's cross platform support on iPad to be as absent as it can get. That being said, you might try sending the file to Omni's awesome support ninjas to see what they have to say.

Omni Outliner for iPad wasn't meant for serious outlining for document creation. There is no good way to bring outlines into Word without bringing in a lot of unnessary baggage unfortunately.

If you do find a good way to use it for outlining to writing workflow let us all know.

Last edited by HappyCatMachine; 2012-12-04 at 01:56 PM..