The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

multi-part documents Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
If you are working on a multi-part document--dissertation in my case:eek:--is there a way to link together separate parts or chapters into a whole?

HD,
Sometimes I want a document with different columns in different sections, or different layouts, etc. So I use separate documents which are "linked". This allows me to move back and forth between them. It's not the best solution, but does the job.

Here's how to add a 'link' to another outline (or any file):
* Put your cursor in the field you want the file link to be in (I usually use the right-most column as a 'link' column).
* Drag the file you wish to link to from the Finder over the selected field.
* Hold down the 'Control' key (after you have the file over the OO field)
* Release the mouse button.

You can put a 'link' in any field, even a Note!

James B

Might be nice to have this functionality in the future, wherein you could create actual, separate sections within a single OO document, and have different columns/style rules/etc for each section.

Then again, what drew me to OO (v2) in the first place was the relative simplicity and lack of extra complications, so maybe not.