The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Someday/Maybe/On Hold Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I would like to do exactly what Craig is doing, but if I use the contextual menu for a folder in the left pane with Projects selected, the check next to "Active" is there, but there is no way to toggle it off. All I see is "Active...Dropped...Focus... Open" and a few others, but there is no "On Hold" Option... actually I would just like the set to "InActive" because, as was mentioned by some else here. "On Hold" implies that it is active but just deferred for some reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
I think there are various schools of thought on this - there's no one hardwired way to do this.

I keep mine as projects within areas-of-responsbility folders that are themselves within a Someday/Maybe folder that is set (via contextual menu) as not active. That keeps the whole shebang hidden unless I'm viewing All Projects.

There's no "inactive" setting for folders. You have to set them to "Dropped". Elsewhere on the forums we've discussed whether inactive would be a better term, since dropped connotes something stronger than inactive. All in all though, the behavior is the same as "inactive", regardless of the term used.

Curt

Hmmm. "Dropped" may work, but sad that it's so counter-intuitive to the principle of GTD "Someday/Maybe" which is meant precisely to include creative ideas that you do *not* intend to drop.

If I decide, that really, in this life I probably will never learn to speak Zulu, and postpone that for my next birth in Africa, I would truly drop the idea and not keep it in "someday/maybe" tickler context.

I'll give it more thought. I really don't want to keep going back to OF and seeing "dropped" when, sub-consciously, that's just wrong. Even "Hold" would make some sort of reasonable sense, but is not available for folders.

I use a concept that is similar to the Single-Action List. I use a Someday / Maybe List. Honestly, I can't remember if I created it or if it was already there in the base OF product. I use a Someday / Maybe context as well and I know I had to create one or the other of either the list or the context ;))

As you know the Single-Action List is technically a project and is organized under the Planning Mode. For me, it's no more than a bucket for collecting all of those annoying little single actions that don't belong to a "project" per se.

Similarly, in Planning Mode, I created (or it was already there) a "Project" called "Someday / Maybe List" which is my bucket for collecting all of the someday/maybe projects that I'd like to accomplish. Similar to the Single-Action List project, I used the inspector to set Type:Single Actions and Staus: Hold.

I realize that (for the GTD purists among us) the notion of classifying my Someday / Maybe List as "single actions" is not technically correct since by definition a project requires more than one action to complete. However, my Someday Maybe List is populated with items that my intuition tells me will be "projects" and not "single actions". And besides, I like that funky little blue shoebox icon ;)

Once I get to the point where I'm ready to commit to a project on my Someday / Maybe List, I simply drag it out of the Someday / Maybe List and make it a full fledged project.

Last edited by rebunkerjr; 2009-04-11 at 05:40 AM..

Your single action list doesn't have to be restricted to single items, either. You can make action groups if you decide that you want to flesh out one of those "someday/maybe" items a bit, yet haven't committed to making it a project. Then when you drag it out (or simply outdent it with cmd-[) it will turn into a project with the actions from the action group as the components.

Great minds think alike :-)

BunkerJr: I ended up doing almost exactly as you describe. I created a single actions project/list called "Miscellaneous" and another one named "Someday/Maybe" the latter is set to "On Hold" and Palmer's note about using indents for action groups is just the little piece of the puzzle I needed.

Thanks!

A convenient way to address this would be a start date of "someday" (abbr: som). That "date" would be later than any real date and also later than no date. It would not require any redesign of the interface, it could be applied to both tasks and projects, and it is pretty close to how many of us think of that category.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Your single action list doesn't have to be restricted to single items, either. You can make action groups if you decide that you want to flesh out one of those "someday/maybe" items a bit, yet haven't committed to making it a project. Then when you drag it out (or simply outdent it with cmd-[) it will turn into a project with the actions from the action group as the components.
Thanks! I never considered the Action Group idea - not sure I even knew there was such a concept ;)

This is a helpful suggestion!

this is interesting. I'm going to add "someday soon" to my list after reading this.

Currently i have the "someday maybe" as a project. and the context that i apply to them is relevant to the "areas of focus" like below:

item / context (areas of focus)

learn to play the guitar / hobbies
go back to school / personal development
travel to new york / wife
open roth IRA / personal finance
start college fund / kids

HTH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
I think there are various schools of thought on this - there's no one hardwired way to do this.

I keep mine as projects within areas-of-responsbility folders that are themselves within a Someday/Maybe folder that is set (via contextual menu) as not active. That keeps the whole shebang hidden unless I'm viewing All Projects.
I started out with pen and paper, you know, outside the computer..so I have a someday/maybe bamboo magazine file folder thing where I have notes of things I'd like to someday tackle. When its time to see them in my weekly review I just read through them to remind me of what I want to accomplish and if i'm ready for one, type it in OF.

If an idea from somday/maybe is close to becoming a reality i'll create a project for it and put it on hold. Then when I'm set and ready it'll be active.

Edit: I quoted you cause I def. agree there is no one set way of doing this, nor any aspect of GTD. That's the great thing, everyone tweaks their OF to their likings.