The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Changing style attributes Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I like this program, and am trying to get the hang of it, but there some inconsistencies in the program that I don't understand. For example, say I create a new outline and type "test" in the level 1 row, then I create an indented level 2 row underneath and type "test" as well. Say I want to apply a yellow border to the text of the level 2 row. So I apply a 3 pt border. The problem comes when I try to copy that style attribute to the level 1. I go to the utility drawer and right click level 2 and "copy style" and then paste the style to level 1, but for some reason it makes level one a black border instead of yellow.

Also, how come the reorganize > group function doesn't work when selecting the rows in the utility drawer. You actually have to select them by dragging to the left of the rows. That doesn't make any sense, cause in the user manual it doesn't specify which method to select them.

Also, sometimes when I create a new outline it will apply styles from outlines that are open at the same time, even though I didn't change the default template. Why does it automatically assume that I want to keep the same styles on a new outline?

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlin View Post
but for some reason it makes level one a black border instead of yellow.
Which version of OmniOutliner are you using? Please update to the latest, 3.9.5 if you aren't running it. This sounds like a bug we fixed back in 3.7 and I'm not able to reproduce what you're seeing from your steps.

Quote:
Also, how come the reorganize > group function doesn't work when selecting the rows in the utility drawer.
You can't select rows in the utility drawer, I'm not sure I know what you're referring to. If you're using the pro version, there is the section list in the top part of the drawer which is for hoisting to the selected row, you can't do a multi-select. In the bottom part of the drawer is the style palette which is only for modifying style groups.

To group, you need to have a row(s) directly selected which you do so through the main outline view using whatever methed you want, the mouse or keyboard.

Quote:
Also, sometimes when I create a new outline it will apply styles from outlines that are open at the same time, even though I didn't change the default template. Why does it automatically assume that I want to keep the same styles on a new outline?
This should not happen, again, possibly due to using an old version. If you are running 3.9.5 and this happens, please give me a more detailed description of what you're seeing.

Hope this helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekM View Post
Which version of OmniOutliner are you using? Please update to the latest, 3.9.5 if you aren't running it. This sounds like a bug we fixed back in 3.7 and I'm not able to reproduce what you're seeing from your steps.
Derek,

I can reproduce this in OOP 3.9.5. Here's how:

File->New From Template : OmniOutliner Pro -> Default

In the first row, type "test" then cmd-shift-] to make a second level row where you type "test". Now select the contents of that row by shift clicking just to the left of the initial "t". Bring up the Appearance:Text Border inspector and click the Text Border box. Click the Utilities Drawer button, click All Level 2 Rows, Copy Style from gear menu. Click All Level 1 Rows, Paste Style. Now click in the level 1 row itself and watch as the inspector reveals that the text insertion has a font border color of Obsidian which was not present in the level 2 style (and also wasn't shown prior to pasting the style). This does not affect subsequent level 1 rows, but I think it is what the OP is seeing.

I have version 3.9.5. It's the trial version of OO pro. What is the difference between selecting rows in the utility drawer and selecting them on screen?

I will try to find an instance where it copied the style from one document to a new document, but it seemed to do it at random times..

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Derek,

I can reproduce this in OOP 3.9.5. Here's how:

File->New From Template : OmniOutliner Pro -> Default

In the first row, type "test" then cmd-shift-] to make a second level row where you type "test". Now select the contents of that row by shift clicking just to the left of the initial "t". Bring up the Appearance:Text Border inspector and click the Text Border box. Click the Utilities Drawer button, click All Level 2 Rows, Copy Style from gear menu. Click All Level 1 Rows, Paste Style. Now click in the level 1 row itself and watch as the inspector reveals that the text insertion has a font border color of Obsidian which was not present in the level 2 style (and also wasn't shown prior to pasting the style). This does not affect subsequent level 1 rows, but I think it is what the OP is seeing.
Huh, welp, time to file a bug

Quote:
I have version 3.9.5. It's the trial version of OO pro. What is the difference between selecting rows in the utility drawer and selecting them on screen?
By selecting rows in the utility drawer you mean in the section list right? As I mentioned before, the section list is only for hoisting to that row. When you click on an entry in the section list, you'll see the outline view change because you've hoisted to that row which turns it into the root item of the outline view. It's the same effect as selecting a row in the outline view and then using the View -> Hoist command.

Quote:
Huh, welp, time to file a bug
I should also note for harlin, I think this only happens if you use the Copy and Paste Style option. You can also click and drag the square chit to the left of "All level 2 rows" up to "All level 1 rows" and it should work correctly.

Quote:
By selecting rows in the utility drawer you mean in the section list right? As I mentioned before, the section list is only for hoisting to that row. When you click on an entry in the section list, you'll see the outline view change because you've hoisted to that row which turns it into the root item of the outline view. It's the same effect as selecting a row in the outline view and then using the View -> Hoist command.
I'm referring to the 2nd panel in the sections list where it says "whole document" and underneath that it says "All level 1 rows, All level 2 rows". By clicking on any level of rows I want it turns those levels gray in the outline view, and I am able to change style attributes to those levels. I'm just curious about what the distinction is between selecting rows that way, or by selecting them by dragging in outline view.

It seems I can change style attributes regardless of the method I select the rows with. But certain functions are not allowed when I select them in the sections list.

Ah, I see what you're getting at now. Yeah, some of the Reorganize functions don't work in the Style view (which is what you get put into when you click on one of those items in the bottom of the drawer). Some of them do. Most of them wouldn't make sense in all but a few special cases -- what does it mean to group all Level 2 rows when they are scattered all over the document?