The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Property Layout Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I am trying to design the layout of our property. The problem I am having is that our property is 5 sided and I want to have a side be a certain length and have it stay that way. When I rotate a line it changes the height/width relative to the canvas. All I need is a simple 2D diagram. Is there a way to see the properties of an object such as length no matter how it is oriented?

You have a line whose length you want displayed at all times, right? Your solution is to put a line label on it that displays the length. Make your line. Option-double-click (*) on it to create a line label. Use the text <%length%> as your label (or use Edit->Insert Variable->Line Length). Now you'll always have the length of that line displayed, even if it is at an arbitrary angle to the grid. You can control the orientation and behavior of the label in the Properties: Geometry inspector.

(*) Default setting, see Line Editing section of Tool Preferences in OmniGraffle preferences.

That is super helpful. Diagrams and all... I appreciate it.

I am surprised that there isn't more of an official way to have that information available. OG seems like a great way to layout a floor of a house or property design and that this would be necessary information to have at your fingertips.

Well, I can't speak to why putting on line labels that show the length doesn't appear to merit any mention in the manual. It is mentioned a bit in the online Help if you look at the help for the Edit menu (see Insert Variable). There is some discussion of setting drawing scales in the manual, but I wouldn't call any of it overly aggressive feature marketing :-)