The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Location reminders - how do they work? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi I'm a bit confused about how the location reminders work. if I set Omnifocus to remind me at a specific context location, will it only remind me at that location when I have tasks set for there or will it remind me in every case when I am at that location?

Looks that way. Location is Context based, not Task based.

Count me in for wanting Task based location.

In the meantime, I'm just adding more Contexts to expand what I used to just call "Errands".

Not a huge issue if you break things up a bit.

I used to have just Errands, now I have
Errands
Stores (alert when I arrive in a medium area)
Hardware (a keyword search)
Cooking (a keyword search)...
Towns (alert when arrive with a large area)
town1 (actual location of downtown)
Home Depot (the actual location, there is only one here)
town2... (actual location of downtown)

But I've also got:

House (alert when I arrive/leave a small area)
Leaving
Arriving

and something similar for the Workplace for those tasks I want to remind myself of when I get in the car but which may not alert if I just drive by a place.

It certainly has become more involved, but much more useful, too.

Welcome to the forums, Miro! Location reminders will only fire when there are uncompleted actions in the "Available" state. If the actions in a context that has a location all have a start date in the future (for example) reminders won't be triggered when you arrive/depart.

Hope that helps!