The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > Community > Omni Lounge
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Allusion noise erodes productivity - please drop it from OF2 Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Focusing on what counts is mental work - your brain has to filter out the noise.

What is all this productivity-eroding visual noise in OF2 ? Where is it coming from ?

From the fallacy of visual "allusion" – the understandable but incorrect idea that distraction is less distracting if it reminds us of something else.

Large and visually distracting finger-sized checkboxes, compacted paragraphs which make field and record boundaries much noisier and much harder to read, high-contrast hieroglyphic icons - open folders, sphinxes, snails, and norwegian flags ? Menu slabs competing for display space ? These are all forms of visual noise imposed on OF2 on the grounds of "allusion" to the iOS version.

"Allusion noise" even leaked into the otherwise excellent Omni app icon project, though the leak was luckily fixed for the iOS versions, which were spared the redundant high-contrast edges, black fills and shadows which were were added as allusions to twisted sheets in earlier icon designs.

iOS7 is now making a bonfire of allusion logic - the idea that visual noise can be allowed to get in our way if it "reminds us" of something else. Torn sheets, library bookshelf splinters, faux leather diaries etc. etc. Luckily, the bonfire of allusion will then move on to OSX 10.9. Will OF2 be ready for that ?

If Omni is serious about productivity, and understands that visual noise distracts, then there's room for an early bonfire here as well. Pruning out all those distracting and unproductively high-contrast allusions would quickly let us see much more, and with much less effort, in OF2.

Allusions are not a good substitute for a coherent graphic approach. They're visually distracting, and they're moving out of fashion, too.

--
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AllusionProblems.jpg
Views:	4583
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	2823  

Great post, nothing really to contribute here aside from the fact that iOS 7 isn't out yet... It's still currently on iOS 6.

The real iOS 7, however, is said to have undergone a massive change, with the scaling back of the UI from skeuomorphism to a more understated design.

Exactly – the "skeuomorphic" designs which iOS7 is dispensing with are examples of redundant and distracting visual noise being rationalised as allusions to earlier technologies (torn paper etc).

(Just as the irrelevantly and distractingly finger-sized checkboxes of OF2 are rationalised as allusions to iOS versions of OmniFocus).

I find your reasoning difficult to follow. Your assumption seems to be that many design decisions in OF2 were taken with no other purpose than to "allude" to the iOS version, but I see little evidence of that.

For example, the large checkboxes are a productivity win to me, because the larger hit target makes it much easier to click. It makes more sense to presume that this was a conscious design decision, and not simply an "allusion" for the sake of allusion.

Also, while I agree with you regarding the sidebar icons (I think they have too much visual weight), how is this related to "allusion noise"? As far as I'm aware, these icons debuted in OF2 and any problems they may have have little to do with "allusion noise".

You make some very good points, but I don't think the argument for "allusion noise" as a common thread is very compelling.

I don't know about "allusion noise" and fancy-schmancy words like that, but I do agree that the older icons were better than the new ones. The new icons are rich and sexy in texture, but they look horrible in the dock, at least in how they fit, at least on my dock which is on the side. It really bugs me, whereas the old OF icon looked good that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by etienne View Post
the large checkboxes are a productivity win to me, because the larger hit target makes it much easier to click.
A larger hit target is good, and we don't have to pay for it with a large area of non-data ink and fill (a weakened ratio of signal to noise) - the UI can simply enlarge the responsive area around the familiar unobtrusive check-box, and a mouse-over cursor change can reveal that enlargement.

Quote:
It makes more sense to presume that this was a conscious design decision, and not simply an "allusion" for the sake of allusion.
Conscious certainly. But not an optimisation for the OS X screen - just an allusion to the iOS screen, on which such checkboxes are optimised for fingers. Introducing, in fact, additional visual distraction from the text (see the image in another post).

Quote:
I agree with you regarding the sidebar icons (I think they have too much visual weight), how is this related to "allusion noise"? As far as I'm aware, these icons debuted in OF2 and any problems they may have have little to do with "allusion noise".
Take a look at the folder icons on the iPad version. The jagged-profiled open folder icon, and its closed partner, with its over contrasting tab-line, are simply imported straight from iPad to OS X. The rest of the icon set adopts the same high-noise (redundantly high-contrast) style - dark gray fills in strong constrast with bright internal white lines. Again, not a local optimisation – even stronger visual contrasts, in fact, against the lighter OF2 background - but instead of visual optimisation, an allusion to the iPad version.

--

Last edited by RobTrew; 2013-05-04 at 06:48 AM.. Reason: 'white' → 'lighter'

From iPad,

to OF2

Visual allusion in place of visual optimisation.

--
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	From-iPad.png
Views:	1173
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	2826   Click image for larger version

Name:	To-OmniFocus2.png
Views:	2280
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	2828   Click image for larger version

Name:	iPad-Source.png
Views:	2251
Size:	9.2 KB
ID:	2829  

I'm not a beta tester of OF2 so I don't see the bigger picture here but (talking about the folder icons only):
Are you suggesting Rob that the contrast of the folder icons should be reduced on the OS X version?

There are other things to consider, besides avoiding allusion. The design needs to be similar across multiple devices too. People like the unified experience.

In general, I think there is a constant struggle to make UI's more appealing to the eye. Every new major version of every software needs a "refresh" of the UI these days. It's kind of fashionable right now and overhauls are expected by the customers. Apple has made full circle a couple of times here. First there was this glossy aqua interface. Then they made it more metalish, then OS X which was glossy and skeumorphic which they then brought pieces of into OS X which makes a mess and now Ive is going to change it all again. Each time people say "ahh ohh" thats a nice UI, thats how it should look.

Unfortunately if you came up with the perfect UI, you would eventually have to ruin it for marketing reasons. :)

Hi Colicoid,

Appeal to the eye starts with clarity. Once things are clear, there's always room for decoration/color/typography, user options etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colicoid View Post
There are other things to consider, besides avoiding allusion.
No need at all to avoid allusion (perhaps a misunderstanding there ?) but allusions bought at the cost of increased noise and clutter do not improve appeal to the eye. What is more, they reduce focus and productivity in an app which is marketed for focus and productivity.

Quote:
Apple has made full circle a couple of times here
Well, there have been some decorative undulations, but the deeper and more important story of its clarity is far from circular.

As the resolution and contrast range of displays improved, the clarity (visibility of data divided by effort imposed on the eye) was gradually improved at each stage by:
  1. Removing redundant edges,
  2. and reserving higher contrasts for graduated foregrounding.

I think we would all share the goals you set out:
  • Appeal to the eye,
  • a refresh of a look which has flaws that have grown more visible with time,
  • and a consistent experience across devices.

but at the moment:
  • It doesn't have the quality of color and finish of the iPad version,
  • it doesn't bring the visual relief of something cleaned up and repainted (it's cluttered and gray),
  • and it doesn't have the same friction-free optimisation for its medium as the iPad version.

In other words it's relying for coherence on some visual allusions (cluttering and noise-importing allusions, as it happens) instead of aiming for a coherent and recognisable excellence in visual clarity across all the apps and devices.

(As for the sidebar icons, there's discussion elsewhere – it's not just that they are noisy and cluttering – clarity has been lost by removing their function as status indicators, forcing the eye to scan across and match up with another icon to the right of the text. A symptom, if you like, of not attending to the minimisation of visual effort.

One thing that the eye does not find appealing is unnecessary work :-)

--

Last edited by RobTrew; 2013-05-04 at 05:46 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by colicoid View Post
there is a constant struggle to make UI's more appealing to the eye. Every new major version of every software needs a "refresh" of the UI these days. It's kind of fashionable right now and overhauls are expected by the customers.
Perhaps that's more the case when the thing is heavy with decoration and ornamentation. Everyone tires, in time, of patterned wall-papers and strongly colored wall-paints.

Interesting to see the success of a slightly different path - iA Writer is still in the App Store productivity category's list of top 10 paid apps.

Even in a very low-noise design it still finds room, once clarity is well-established, for some color and marketing (in the cursor).

I would personally be inclined to let the user choose their own colors and fonts, not least for the cursor, but the line they've taken still seems to have worked well for sales. No getting tired of the wallpaper there ...

(And iA Writer got a Mac App of the Year award. It would be good to see OmniGroup winning an Apple Design Award again … No reason why they shouldn't, with some good deep design principles, some ambitious creative re-thinking, and a willingness to throw away a few initial drafts :-)