The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Location questions Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
New to GTD, OF, and OF for iPhone. I watched the video, and have several questions about the iPhone version:

1. What do the separate 'Location' settings mean when editing a 'Context'? Does the 'Current Location' change as I move around, or does it just set the present current location (for example, work) and save it?

2. Can the 'Business Search' include several different types? In other words, can I set up my 'Errands' context to search for 'Grocery Store' and 'Dry Cleaning' and 'Pet Food'? Or do I need to set up a separate sub-context for each (eg, 'Errands: Grocery Store'; 'Errands: Dry Cleaning')?

3. How does 'Nearby' work? I see next actions under Context headings, with a single distance button that says ''<1 mile', or 'here'. Are these settings changeable to allow me to search a wider or narrower area?

4. When I select one of the above distance buttons, I assume I am being sent to 'Maps'. There, I see only one choice for a grocery store or dry cleaner. Can I see multiple merchants and select the one I want?

5. Once in the 'Maps' function, how do I get back to OF? Must I press the home button, then restart OF?

6. Finally (for now, at least ;) ), I understand the 'Sync' button on the iPhone, and am pretty sure it sends promptly to the server, but how about the desktop version? Must I manually 'Synchronize with Server', or will it check the server itself at intervals?

Thanks for the help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawxray View Post
6. Finally (for now, at least ;) ), I understand the 'Sync' button on the iPhone, and am pretty sure it sends promptly to the server, but how about the desktop version? Must I manually 'Synchronize with Server', or will it check the server itself at intervals?
The desktop version will sync every hour. If you make a change, it will sync a minute later, and then resume the hourly sync cycle.

I'd like to add two more items to the list above.

7. I would like to be able to assign a context to the location 'anywhere' so its items always appear when using the Nearby feature.

8. I just mentioned this in another thread, but I would find it useful to be able to assign multiple locations to a single context, e.g. locations for each of the libraries I use to a single Library context.

Can you add an option in the Settings to change the unit length from miles to kilometer (for europe) ?

i second the request for a kilometers option - for Australians.

I sencond too the request for kilometers!

Yes Kilometers are required! Please :)

Kilometers for me as well please, don't get this Miles stuff!!!

Absolutely, lets get Km in here for all of us Europeans :D only the british understand mils :D

Do the Brit's use miles? Us Canadians use metric.... In fact, I think the *only* countries that use Imperial are the US, and Iran!! Go figure!