The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniOutliner period cpu hogging and freezing? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello.

I have OmniOutliner 3.6.5 and I'm currently using it to make outlines for school. Periodically--anywhere from every 10 seconds up to five minutes--the program will lock up and start hogging 100% of the cpu. This lasts from 5 to 20 seconds. It always happens when I'm typing, although I haven't noticed if it happens in response to typing in any particular field (e.g., in a comment). During the lockups it allows no input--not even slow, clunky input.

I have a Macbook 2 Ghz with 2 gigs of memory.

Please help!

I'm very sorry for the inconvenience this causes! Do you have a search active in the sidebar when this happens? If so, we may know what's going on here; if you contact the support ninjas, they'll be able to help.

If you don't have a sidebar search active when this happens, The next time this happens, it would be quite helpful if you could send us the output of a "sample" command to the support ninjas, so the dev team on OmniOutliner can try to determine what the application is doing with all that CPU.

To take a sample report, you'll want to do the following:
1) Go to your Applications folder --> Utilities folder--> and launch "Activity Monitor".
2) A window will open that shows all the applications running on your machine. In the list, select our application.
3) Click on the "Inspect" button on the toolbar
4) Another window will pop-up. Click the "Sample" button on the lower left corner.
5) When it's done taking the sample, click the "Save..." button on the top right and email the document it creates back to us. We'll have a look at it and figure out what's going on. Thanks very much!

I closed both the utilities tray and the inspector window, and it hasn't happened since, so you're probably right about the search issue. I'll call when I have some time.

Thanks for the prompt and helpful reply!