The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Extras
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Selected Tasks to iCal Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
For people who don't have to sync OF tasks to any device via iCal the implemented syncing of all OF tasks to iCal seems to me pretty useless: To overcrowd iCal's todo list with all your OF tasks which are organized in a much better way in OF itself provides no benefit and creates redundancy.
On the other hand I have a couple of tasks in my OF projects which can be regarded as urgent or hard landscape tasks. These tasks I'd like to see in my hard landscape calendar. I also would like to set reminders for these tasks.

Therefore I wrote two scripts to send selected OF tasks to iCal. The first script sends one single task to a previously specified iCal calendar. The second one syncs all flagged tasks with iCal. For those who aren't afraid of nagging reminders both scripts offer the possibility to have set alarms for future todos automatically.
In both scripts OF URL linking is implemented.
(These are the first apple scripts I ever wrote, so I think the script codes aren't very smart. Perhaps someone could help me to optimize these scripts?)
Attached Files
File Type: zip Task to iCal.zip (10.9 KB, 1201 views)
File Type: zip Flagged to iCal.zip (8.1 KB, 1116 views)

Oops! - I forgot to mention that you have to open the scripts in scripteditor to find some configuration instructions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uku View Post
Therefore I wrote two scripts to send selected OF tasks to iCal. The first script sends one single task to a previously specified iCal calendar. The second one syncs all flagged tasks with iCal.
How incredibly useful. Thank you. I never sync to iCal because there is no selection available. This works well for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uku View Post
(These are the first apple scripts I ever wrote, so I think the script codes aren't very smart. Perhaps someone could help me to optimize these scripts?)
Clever and handy! I like them.

I've rewritten your "Task to iCal" script. It's gone from 126 lines of code to 50. :) I took out unnecessary intermediate variables, converted all the variables holding parts of the highlighted task into a record, and un-nested the redundant "if" statements in the "iCal" section.

I think a fair argument could be made that changing this
Code:
	set theNewTask to the name of theSelectedTask
	set theNewNote to the note of theSelectedTask
	set theNewDueDate to due date of theSelectedTask
	set hasFlag to flagged of theSelectedTask
into this
Code:
set newTask to {name:name, TaskNote:note, TaskDueDate:due date, IsFlagged:flagged} of theSelectedTask
isn't inherently an improvement, since it means that later on, this
Code:
if theNewDueDate is not missing value then
becomes
Code:
		if TaskDueDate of newTask is not missing value then
but the reason I did that was it makes it much easier to create a list of new tasks, so you could highlight multiple tasks in the context window, invoke the script, and have all of them transferred to iCal at once.

I even wrote the code to collect multiple tasks. I did not rewrite the second half of my replacement script to install the multiple tasks: it will only do the first one. Why? Because I've already frittered away more than a couple hours on this, and I'm supposed to be doing other stuff. I might get back to it; you might finish the job before I do and repost it, thus saving me the effort. :)

I didn't look at your second script, but I hope you can see various tricks and techniques from this script that you could apply there as well.
Attached Files
File Type: zip new Task to iCal.zip (7.2 KB, 931 views)

I couldnt get the "improved" script to work, but the originals posted worked like a charm. A much needed capability in OmniFocus.

Thanks

My apologies for "improving" the script in an unfunctional way. I wonder why this bug took four months to appear. Possibilities: (1) It's very specific to Benn's situation/configuration. (2) It just appeared due to a recent change in OmniFocus. (3) Nobody else has bothered to try the revised version. (4) Lots of people have had the revised script fail, but nobody else bothered to report it. (5) Nobody else has been downloading the scripts in the first place.

I'd hate to leave a buggy script online if (2) or (4) are the case, but I don't want to invest the time if (3) or (5) are true. Sounds like Benn's satisfied with his solution of just using the original scripts, so if it's (1), I'm also off the hook. Guess I'll see if any other comments get posted.

Can anybody tell me how to use these 2 scripts from uku, please? Thank you very much in advance.

How one is supposed to invoke these scripts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by braver View Post
How one is supposed to invoke these scripts?
http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=7453

Do I need to edit the script? Can't seem to get the script to work. It deletes all the names of my calendars in ical and gives me the following message:

Apple event handler failed:
make calendar with properties {name:CalendarName, writable:true, color:defaultRGB}

thanks!