The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iCloud sync to be MAS only? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I've read that Omnigroup are working on document syncing for OG and OO now but I've also read numerous articles all indicating iCloud document sync is only available to Mac AppStore applications.

This rings alarm bells given I have invested a significant amount of money in to the entire Omnigroup productivity applications and I'm concerned that iCloud document sync, when implemented, won't be available for these versions and that I'd be forced to pony up for MAS purchases to get this functionality. Is this likely to be the case?

If so, Apple have pushed both OmniGroup and its customers into a corner on this. And I doubt I'd both repurchasing OG professional at least, just to get access to this functionality when I have already invested significantly in a version already. I don't believe it's even possible for Omnigroup to allow users to migrate licenses over to the AppStore versions as Apple will expect their cut of the money. Omni would have to take a significant hit on that.

I'm really keen to get Omnigroup's take on this.

For reference, there is a section entitled "One worrisome rift" in a Feb 16 2012 blog by the makers of Coda and Transmit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobTrew View Post
For reference, there is a section entitled "One worrisome rift" in a Feb 16 2012 blog by the makers of Coda and Transmit.
Thanks for the link Rob. I read that blog (and all the subsequent comments) with great interest. To the point where I feel a lot more informed of the intricacies involved now. I can see why / how Apple would want to control which apps utilise their infrastructure / services and how it would cost them. I don't have a problem with that and think long term, it will sort itself out. From a migration perspective though, I think they need to find a way to transition purchased non-MAS licenses to MAS without leeching more money off consumers.

I'd hate to be a developer right now catering for people who'd be against the MAS approach and wanting 3rd party sync integration (Dropbox) and those wanting iCloud sync functionality without having to repurchase again. It doesn't sit well with me as the consumer, and I can't see how it could sit well with developers either. Apple seem to be making a mess of this.

Smile Software (PDFPen) adopted the approach of selling a little app for the minimum price in the Mac App Store that allows a customer who bought the main app from them directly to get/put documents into iCloud. Somewhat less convenient to use, I'm sure, but they are still free to do things in the main app that run afoul of Apple's rules. It's not impossible to imagine some of Apple's desired security improvements making some of the integration and scripting features off-limits to Mac App Store applications.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Smile Software (PDFPen) adopted the approach of selling a little app for the minimum price in the Mac App Store that allows a customer who bought the main app from them directly to get/put documents into iCloud. Somewhat less convenient to use, I'm sure, but they are still free to do things in the main app that run afoul of Apple's rules. It's not impossible to imagine some of Apple's desired security improvements making some of the integration and scripting features off-limits to Mac App Store applications.
Thanks for that info. It's an interesting approach. It does seem a bit inconvenient (and only a small step up from iTunes wifi sync really) but I could see where that would be an alright way of going about it. For example, I'd pay that nominal fee if Omnigroup implemented an Omnigraffle app to give me iCloud sync. I wouldn't however, buy OG from the MAS just to get that sync.

Interesting times. And thanks for your feedback guys.

Do we actually want to use iCloud ?

Is Apple's record of data-hosting particularly good ? ( MobileMe always seemed a bit of a pig to me, and now they are summarily pulling the plug on it, and on any web-sites which it hosts). Googling iCloud horror story gives cause for caution ...

Is it really clear that the new Apple (not the mythical computer manufacturer of the past but the more ambiguous Exxon-Mobil-scale corporation of the present) is really the kind of organisation that you want to entrust your data to anyway ?

Not obvious, it seems to me ...

--

A useful article in Tidbits, spelling out, inter alia, the fact that Apple Inc. can read your iCloud data.
http://tidbits.com/article/12920
How much this really matters will depend on what kind of work you are doing (and perhaps on the quality of internal procedures and security measures at Apple Inc.) but clearly worth being aware of.

If, for example, you are working with client information which, for legal or contractual reasons, must be kept private, then, depending on the jurisdiction you are working in, you may need to think through the legal and professional implications of allowing any part of that information to be synced by iCloud ...

--