The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Extras
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reveal Script (switch alternative) Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Here's a script which provides a useful alternative to the switch operation, aka show in (context|planning) mode, or twin

When applied to a single leaf action (not in the inbox), it opens a new window focussed on the project that contains the action, with filters in a default state, allowing you to see the other actions remaining on that project.

This allows you to quickly see if next actions exist, and create or adjust them as necessary before completing your actions and closing the new window.

You can then continue working in the original window where you left off.

I use this a lot.

To install, copy Reveal.scpt from the zip file to ~/Library/Scripts/Applications/Omnifocus and restart Omnifocus. You can add it to your Omnifocus toolbar by right clicking on the toolbar and selecting "Customize Toolbar".

UPDATED 30/12/07 - 1.4.2 use this if 1.4.3 doesn't work for you. [deleted]
UPDATED 30/12/07 - 1.4.3 recommended version (works like original 1.4.0 version). [deleted]
UPDATED 4/12/07 - 1.4.4 fix for "not an action" due to inbox task rename to task in scripting interface
UPDATED 10/5/07 - 2.0.5ß cleanup - might fix the pi issue mentioned elsewhere. Known bug: additional 'main' script visible in Customise Toolbar

ßeta users note: you should delete any existing Reveal scripts from ~/Library/Scripts/Applications/Omnifocus before installing the new Reveal Script.

The script "Pan Out" is also available elsewhere on this site; it expands the focus to include the parents of the current focus.

-Alex Brown
Attached Files
File Type: zip Reveal script 1.4.4.zip (21.8 KB, 616 views)
File Type: zip Reveal script 2.0.5ß.zip (36.9 KB, 617 views)

Last edited by Alex Brown; 2008-03-10 at 12:48 PM.. Reason: Upload version 2

Hey, thanks Alex! This is just about what I was wishing for months ago!

Agree: this is a useful little tool. Thanks also for making an icon for it; there's nothing worse than a generic script icon in the toolbar.

This is so useful it seems like it should be baked in. Thanks for making it!

Thank you, Alex, for this awfully usefull script! It became part of my workflow when completing actions in context mode.

Unfortunately it doesn't work anymore since I installed the latest updates (currently r 94950). When I start the script I get the error message:

AppleScript reported the following error:
The variable w is not defined.

I looked at the script to edit it but I'm not shure how to re-define this variable |w|.

So, can you help me to get the script work again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by uku View Post
Thank you, Alex, for this awfully usefull script! It became part of my workflow when completing actions in context mode.

Unfortunately it doesn't work anymore since I installed the latest updates (currently r 94950). When I start the script I get the error message:

AppleScript reported the following error:
The variable w is not defined.
Just a me-too post, on the gratefulness and on the error report.

A recent OF build changed window access. Here's a fix.

Change the line:
Code:
set |w| to (first document window whose index is 1)
To:
Code:
set |w| to document window 1

Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
A recent OF build changed window access. Here's a fix.

Thank you, Curt! The script runs again!

By the way, is there any documentation of the OF script suite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by uku View Post
By the way, is there any documentation of the OF script suite?
Just the usual Applescript dictionary, available from File --> Open Dictionary in Script Editor. There are lots of open-source scripts floating around also. My collection is available here. (I'll be revving a bunch of those soon, as many of my scripts suffered from the same problem as Alex's Reveal script.)

Curt

Any suggestions on handling multiple open windows? As written (with Curt's fix) the script takes the selection from the first window, which may not be the frontmost window.