The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Printing outline on every page Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Not sure if this has been requested before and I'm just not awake enough to find it ;-)

It would be really handy if I could print out a project over multiple pages wide, but then have the outline on every page - so I have kind of legend to the tasks and not just the Gantt chart. Basically like it looks on the screen when I scroll to the side - I just see a portion of the Gantt chart, but I can always see the outline.

cheers

If your eyesight is really, really good, you could tell OP to fit it all on one page! :-)

Maybe your outlines are much narrower than mine, but looking at the proposed printouts in Preview of the projects I had handy, it seemed like the page count would go from merely too much paper to obscene if the outline was reprinted on each page. But if you are just interested in a section of the timeline, you can set OmniPlan's printing scope to just that section, and include the outline next to it on the page. In the Print dialog, select OmniPlan on the selector labeled Copies & Pages, then use the Cropping section of the dialog to pick out a suitable chunk. Make sure it is only 1 page wide, because only the first page gets the outline. If you really needed to go through your entire chart, this would be a headache, but not impossible.

Hello. I have been using Omniplan for around a month and I find the printing to be a pain. Here are my gripes:

When I view the Omniplan detail in the print dialog box, the resulting dialog box is too big for my Macbook Air’s screen. I have to hide my dock in order to use all the buttons.

It would be nice if you could expand all sub-tasks automatically when printing. It’s a pain to have to manually expand everything just for a print, then go back and manually collapse the detail that I don’t want to see. Similarly it would be nice if you could separately setup the view options for printing (such as columns viewed and Gantt chart scale) since manually changing everything just for a print then changing it back is a pain. Perhaps the View Options could be extended to allow more than one custom view and also save other view features such as column widths, Gantt chart scale, etc. Then you could just quickly flip between views.

Lastly it’s very difficult to get a print that I find satisfactory for my project. I have around 75 tasks spread out over a year and I like to print on A4 in landscape mode and 1 page wide. If I set the print view to show quarters and crop at January 1st I get a 1 page wide and 2 pages high output. However, there is a huge amount of wasted white-space to the right of the Gantt chart and only 4 items on the second page (therefore most of the second page is blank) yet the task font is so small as to be barely readable. Why doesn’t it scale everything up to remove the whitespace? The only way I seem to get a reasonable result is to scale the Gantt chart to fit the project then at least most of the second page is used.

Thanks,

Jon.

Hopefully there are ways to do these things ... but I can't find them!

(1) Repeat the "date header" for the project (not the date of printing in the page header) on every page of a multiple page omniplan document.

Click for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch

EDIT: just saw this thread ... hmm, disappointing. Please add my vote to the feature request database

(2) Manually drag the cropping box to select the parts to print - I can drag the box, but it doesn't "stick" and just reverts to previous once I stop holding it

(3) Select the from/to dates using the calendar icons - again it doesn't "stick" (however it does work if I type the dates into the from/to fields manually

Click for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch

Thanks!

I frequently share the project schedules I create with clients and others within and outside of my office, but printing the great looking gantt charts I make in OmniPlan is difficult to do in a way that is easy to read. I'm unaware of any way to add a title block or symbol legend so readers can easily see what project this is or understand what each symbol represents. It would also be nice to print it out on multiple pages, but keep the timeline and/or task list on every page for easy reference.

Is there an easy way to accomplish this that I'm missing?

I have long wondered about this same issue, and posted about it, too. It seems so basic for a program that generates Gantt charts. I wish OmniGroup would solve this problem. As a former FastTrack user, I really miss that capability.

Repeating the data headers and the outline along the left edge seems critical to me. How can anyone read a multiple-page Gantt chart without that information? Please, Omni ninjas, fix this!!

I agree with you, Jon, and have the same issues. Printing a project plan is the whole point! You have to be able to share the plan with the people who are working on the project, and it has to be intelligible. I love Omni products -- I think I own almost all of them. But OmniPlan falls far short of the others in its usefulness because of this shortcoming.

whpalmer4, I see your point. On a huge project, that's an issue. But on a project that takes, say, 4 pages or so to print out, seeing the outline along the left edge and the headers across the top makes each page understandable to someone less familiar with the project. And isn't that the point of being able to print it out at all? To share the information clearly?

Joshfree, I've added you to the feature request we have open on this request, but please don't post the same content into multiple threads - especially threads that haven't been posted to for several years - in order to try and attract our attention. It makes the forums less useful for other visitors.

(It's better to have one good thread than several threads with repeated contents. Towards that end, merging the resurrected threads to collect the feedback in one place.)

Last edited by Brian; 2011-10-28 at 02:44 PM.. Reason: added parenthetical.